• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File shows as checked out but loads in Read-only mode, can't edit

New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2015. I recently had a computer failure and had to move my backup to a new one (everything was working fine before that).

Now when I double click a file from our web site in the files pane a dialog box come up that looks like this:

DW_window1.jpeg

It used to give you the option to check the file out so that you could edit it. At the same time a window pops up with info about incomplete file activity, like this:

DW_window2.jpeg

The rest of the message that is cut off says:

eigenvector/courses/EigenU_Data_and_Models.html - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot get EigenU_Data_and_Models.html.  Access denied.  The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem.

I tested the FTP connection under Manage Sites and the connection tested as OK.

In the files pane, you can check out a file, and it shows as checked out, but you still can't edit it.

So what do I need to do so I can edit my web pages? Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the error message says it all

there could be a permission problem

I do not have iOS machine, but I believe that you need to set user permissions on the folders and files.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use DW's check out functionality, but I do recall more than a few posts in the past about it being controlled by .LCK files.

If you turn on your operating system's hidden files, then browse to your local site folder (from the OS, not DW), you will be able to see and delete the .LCK files from the site.

That will make your files editable from within DW again.

I'm sorry, I don't know what effect it will have on check in/out though, if it disables it completely, or just starts a new .LCK file when a user checks something out.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with the old check-in/out feature can give you more options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon, but I don't see any .LCK files in my local site folder when I turn on "view hidden files."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and you're looking at the files in an OS folder, not from within DW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, looks like the folders on the server might be the ones that need to be looked at?

Are multiple people checking files in and out for this site? If not, you could turn the function off in your site settings.

It's under Site > Manage Sites > click your site > Edit > Servers > click your remote server > Edit > Advanced > un-check Enable file check-out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon: Yes, I was looking for .lck files from the finder, and also from the terminal, and can't find any.

I also tried turning off enable check-out in the FTP settings and that didn't help.

Another possibly useful tidbit: the files that I can't edit are showing that they are owned by another account on my computer. But even when I go to that account and add read/write permissions to the files for the account I'm using DW in, DW still won't open them in edit mode. I can open them and edit them with other apps, like TextEdit, but not with DW. So somehow it must be DW that is not allowing me permission, not MacOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would make sense that other programs have no issue opening the file. As far as I understand it, the .LCK files are a DW-only thing, similar to the html comments in the code of a page used for DW's Templates. Everything else ignores them while DW uses them for a specific function.

With the addition of Mac User account and possible permissions issues, I don't think I'm going to be of any use to you. I went to the dark side years ago and have forgotten most of what I knew of Macs retraining my brain for Windows machines.

Hopefully a Mac user with more experience in DW's check out feature will stop in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I never use file check-in/out.  But I think you can GET files from the remote server with Filezilla or other dedicated FTP client.  The proprietary file check-in/out garbage is ignored when you open the files in DW.   Don't quote me on it but that's what I remember from past discussions.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines