• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Template Issue: areas outside of editable regions are not grayed out and are editable

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently this issue has emerged. I have a template with some editable regions. The non-editable regions are the header, footer, etc. But whether it's existing pages based on this template or new pages created from this template, the non-editable regions are editable and not grayed out like they used to be. 

The pages are still connected to the template because when I update the template, the pages also update to reflect the change.

I didn't have this problem before. 

What I've tried:

* Updated to most recent Dreamweaver

* Restarted Dreamweaver and the computer

* Created a new page and made sure the box is checked that links it to the template when it's updated

Nothing is fixing it. Ideas? Is it a bug? 

TOPICS
Code , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

I discovered what's wrong. But I don't have a solution yet. When I store the site files on onedrive, I have the issue. When I move the site to my local C: drive, the issue goes away.

There appears to be some permissions issue where onedrive isn't allowing Dreamweaver some access. I contacted an IT in our company to see if he can help.

Thanks, Jon and Nancy, for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share the entire code of one of the Child pages made from the Template?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon, I just posted an example of the issue under the response from Nancy. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your template.dwt.

1. Go to Tools > Templates > Check Template Syntax.
  2. Also go to Window > Results > Validation and check your document for code errors.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did both steps. A valid page based on valid template syntax still has the issue described above. Other ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this unique to just one template in one site or is this repeatable with other templates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried creating a barebones template and a document based on it. I still have the same issue. 

Template:

<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" -->
<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
</head>
<body>  
<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="content" -->content<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
</body>
</html>

Page:

<!doctype html>
<html lang="en"><!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/temp2.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>Test</title>
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" -->
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
</head>
<body>  
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="content" -->content<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
</body>
<!-- InstanceEnd --></html>

This is a screenshot of what I'm seeing on the test page. The non-editable parts are not grayed out:

temp-screenshot.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The code you provided works the same in both CC 2015 and CC 2020 for me. I can modify code around the <html> and </html> and within the editable regions. I do not get editable areas around the <head>, <meta> or <body></body> as shown in your screen grab.

Have you tried Restoring Preferences yet?

That might get it to start working correctly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that multiple times with a restart and I get the same result. I even created another barebones template and a page based off of it. Still not fixed. 

What's interesting is when I first create a page based off of the template, everything is grayed out. But as soon as I save it to the file system, non-editable areas are no longer grayed out and become editable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce it on my side. 

Is template saved in the local site's Template's folder with a dot dwt file extension?

Are you in Design view?

CC-LiveView.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered what's wrong. But I don't have a solution yet. When I store the site files on onedrive, I have the issue. When I move the site to my local C: drive, the issue goes away.

There appears to be some permissions issue where onedrive isn't allowing Dreamweaver some access. I contacted an IT in our company to see if he can help.

Thanks, Jon and Nancy, for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloud storage drives like Dropbox and Onedrive won't work with DW.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true. Actually, cloud storage DOES work with Dreamweaver... I use it daily to store one of my sites content in OneDrive, editing regularly with Dw.  

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you say so.  Do you use Templates on OneDrive?

Cloud storage for the local site was way too slow for me.  I confess I've not tried it lately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[I do indeed... trust, I had my doubts at first. I've been very pleasantly surprised! We're 3 years in with no major issues (granted, I'm on a campus with Office365 Pro, enterprise-level security in place, etc., but no hiccups)! Test it out with a few dummy files and see if it suits your needs.]

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anissa, that is great news. Can you confirm that when you edit a page based on a template, the non-editable regions of the page are grayed out and you cannot edit them? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines