• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difference between plain Adobe Acrobat DC vs Standard, Pro, and Reader

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I've got a weird one here. I'm running some reports in my environment and trying to fine out what Adobe DC is. I also have Adobe DC Pro, Adobe DC Standard, and Adobe DC Reader installations as well but the majority of people just have Adobe DC installed. Is there a difference between them meaning paid versus free?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably mean "Acrobat DC" and "Acrobat Reader DC". There is no product called "Adobe".

Acrobat is paid. Reader is free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I mean what I said..:)

Here's small sample of what my report says

These are just small examples of what I am finding. As you can see the product Adobe Acrobat DC is installed so I assume that is a paid version. The weird thing about it is the source path calls out "Adobe Reader" so I guess that's the confusing part. Also on most machines the Reader and DC are installed with the same version number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe" is the company name. "Acrobat", "Reader" (now "Acrobat Reader") are the products.

Everything with "Reader" in the name is free (though there are paid subscription services available). Products with only "Acrobat" in the name are paid.

I can't comment on the path remark above unless you post a screenshot or copy/paste the paths here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Product names: *

* Acrobat Reader (Adobe Acrobat Reader) used to be called Adobe Reader. The change happened after version XI (11).

* Be sure you understand the difference between "Classic" and "Continuous" products; this applies to Acrobat Standard, Pro and Reader.

* Strictly "DC" is the continuous product, but in the first release of the classic product it too was called DC.

* The classic product has existed in versions 2015 and 2017 (or 15 and 17)

* There never was a version 12. But Adobe used the label for some earlier enterprise customers of DC/2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the 3rd bullet: DC is part of all product marketing names. Acrobat DC can be either the Classic or Continuous track. That said: You will sometimes see "DC" used (incorrectly) as another name for the "Continuous" track because (unfortunately), an install of the Continuous track uses /DC/ as directory paths when installing files and creating registry entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty sure Reader has tracks, or at least something that SOMEONE calls tracks.

See for example: Release Notes | Adobe Acrobat, Reader

which has headings

Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC Continuous Track release notes

Acrobat 2017 and Acrobat Reader 2017 (Classic Track) release notes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were correct it turns out. Reader does have tracks and I've edited my post above.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, Thank you for all the clarification. It's quite confusing for Adobe non-professionals in trying to distinguish the differences between the products so I will assume that all of my Adobe Acrobat DC installs are the paid versions.

Thank you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines