• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 11 constantly crashing on every Website with Flashcontent...

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having problems with the latest Update of Adobe Flash Player to release 11. I am on a Mac(10.6.8) running the 64bit kernel. At the moment I installed Flash Player 11, every Website with Flashcontent is crashing. This also happens in Chrome, not only Safari or Firefox. I did everything Adobe provides as possible solutions. Do an uninstall with the uninstaller, then install fresh. I had a look in both of the Internet Plugins folder to make sure everything got removed correctly. But the new install won't work.

What works is uninstalling Flash Player 11 and installing Flash Player 10.3 again. Everything works like a charm then. Well... except in Chrome of course.

Just as a last bit of information: I never had any beta or alpha versions of the player installed.

Can anyone please help me? Does anyone else encounter this problem?

Regards

Alex

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Many thanks, Alex, for providing the fonts to me. I am not on the Flash team, but am in Type Development, thus my interest in fonts, and my experience that "unknown" fonts may be malformed. I am using a MacBook Pro 17-inch running Mac OS X 10.6.8. I installed the fonts into my ~/Library/Fonts folder, and Flash now crashes on a regular basis. Attached is a screenshot of what I am experiencing in Chrome. So, if you simply remove the KozGo*.ttf files (use "% rm ~/Library/Fonts/KozGo*.ttf" to remove

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

Are you able to tell me where the following fonts in your users fonts directory came from?

KozGoPr6N-Bold-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPr6N-ExtraLight-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPr6N-Heavy-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPr6N-Light-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPr6N-Medium-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPr6N-Regular-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-Bold-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-ExtraLight-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-Heavy-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-Light-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-Medium-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-Regular-AlphaNum.ttf

Also, I am curious as to whether other users who have experienced this issue have them in one of their fonts folders as well.

I am asking because I am the one who built the OTF (*.otf) versions of these fonts (and without the "-AlphaNum" string in the name), and this is the first time I have seen TTF versions of them. It is unclear as to whether these fonts are the cause of the problem, but I am sure that they can be safely removed. And, if you don't mind, please send them to me (at "lunde@adobe.com") so that I can inspect them. I am curious where they came from.

Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken,

well, I am everything but a typograph. I normally use Helvetica as a failsafe font.

I just had a look in my projects and these fonts were given to me by an agency I was doing a facebook game for Davidoff for. I had to cut my one assets and the art director was (maybe) too lazy to rasterize all the text. Actually I could have erased them but then the next project started and so on. I have no idea where the .ttf versions come from. When you state that this is normally an .otf font I guess someone converted them for what reason ever.

I will send them to you.

Regards

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

I look forward to receiving those fonts. A couple things to try are as follows:

• Nuke the font cache files that are used by Adobe applications by executing the following command in the Terminal application: % rm ~/Library/Caches/Adobe*/*/AdobeFnt*.lst (you can use "% ls ~/Library/Caches/Adobe*/*/AdobeFnt*.lst" to see them first).
  • Remove, either temporarily or permanently, those questionable TTFs.

-- Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken,

I will give the terminal magic a try in the morning.

If you have any idea what I can do to give you more informations with which you might find out what causes the crashes... I have just no idea which information might be useful. I would never have thought that something like fonts might cause such problems.

Thanks

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, Alex, for providing the fonts to me. I am not on the Flash team, but am in Type Development, thus my interest in fonts, and my experience that "unknown" fonts may be malformed. I am using a MacBook Pro 17-inch running Mac OS X 10.6.8. I installed the fonts into my ~/Library/Fonts folder, and Flash now crashes on a regular basis. Attached is a screenshot of what I am experiencing in Chrome. So, if you simply remove the KozGo*.ttf files (use "% rm ~/Library/Fonts/KozGo*.ttf" to remove them), the problem may go away.crash.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried also the Flash player 11 and Flash Player Debugger 11 Standalone Players on my mac and they both also crash...

Regards

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we've tested several of the same machine that you have and are having difficulty reproducing the crashes you are experiencing.

when do the Standalone players crash?  at launch? or when content is loaded?

would you mind to forward me your crash logs from Firefox?  if you type about:crashes in the address bar it will list your crashes.  please send me the ones prepended with "bp-"  these are the ones that were submitted to Mozilla.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

should I send you the link? Or should I just copy & paste all of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank alex.  i'll see if dev can see anything obvious in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the standalone players are crashing right after compiling and testing an swf. targeting player 10 but using the standalone 11...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing bad fonts resolved the problem!! So happy!

Using Mac OS X "Font Book" application, selected File / Validate Fonts

Removed any fonts that did not pass as safe to use

Yes!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that the fonts issue has found an entirely new bug - this is insane - the fonts are no longer being recognizd when published from flash. so if i export a font from flash with actionscript, it shows up until I restart flash, I then have to go in and remove those fonts, re-insert those fonts and republish for them to be seen.

There appears to be a serious issue with fonts.

I do not understand why Adobe and Flash have never been able to sort out their fonts - having used flash from the start it blows my mind the fact that every edition you promise to sort out fonts, create something entirely new every edition and fail every edition.

TLF is from hell.

Guys - take the time, put in the effort, and make one final, concerted effort to fix fonts.

The reality is that to get fonts working you need a degree in philosophy, masters in physics, Doctoroate in Linguistics - its ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be useful to know which specific fonts are being affected by the issue that you described. Keep in mind that fonts are developed by many companies and individuals, in different formats, and using different tools. It represents a variable no doubt, but most font-related issues can be traced to a genuine issue in the affected fonts. The more useful details you provide to us, the greater the chances that we can figure out what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any font. Arial in this instance.

I simply have to unclick and then re-click the export font dialogue in the actionscript tab in the font properties from the library.

I will be taking the fonts out and creating a dynamic loading library - so dont worry about me - but for others WOW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Flash 11 crashes website using IE 8 on System 7.  The FOX NEWS.com site crashes.  When I remove Flash 11 that site works fine on IE 8.  That site works fine also on Chrome and Firefox.  All other sites work with Flash 11 except the Fox site on IE8.

How can I download a previous version of Flash that does not have this problem?

________________________________________________________________________________________ Fuji HS50EXR, Samsung S9+. Nikon Coolpix P950. Just transitioned from PSE and PE 9 to 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was running into a similar issue on Lion but with a different cause. I had previously installed the Flashug add-on for Firefox. I removed it a while ago but the mm.cfg file was still pointing to it in preloadswf - although I could have sworn I've changed it before this. This cause adl to break as well as FP11. I set it back to the default and now everything is working fine. Hooray!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently experiencing this problem in Windows 7 64-bit. Adobe Flash 11 Crashes everything that uses it. It first occured in Chrome. I opened the Flash Settings from Control Panel and proceeded to clear all caches. No fix. I then tried to use Internet Explorer. Still crashes immediately with any site using Flash. I download the Flash Player Uninstaller. Used it, and verified that Flash was removed from IE. Downloaded the latest standalone installer (64 bit) and used it. My browser opened upon installation, where it states that it was installed successfully; however, Flash still crashes in the exact same manner.

If bad font files are responsible, where do I go to remove them from my system? Any help with this is highly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tronyc,

Since this post was originally about the Mac OS, could you create a new topic and detail what you're experiencing along with the output you receive when you type "about:flash" in Chrome's address bar?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines