• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe Application Error

Participant ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  I'm an IT guy and one of our users put in a ticket with screen shots showing an error message they get every single day when they sign on to their Windows XP computer.  The first error message says:

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x7c9113c0" referenced memory at "0x00050005".  The memory could not be "written".  Click OK to terminate the program.

The user clicks OK and then this comes up.

"Adobe Flash Player Update Service 11.3 r300 encountered a problem and needed to close."  It then has the date and time of the error (which is when she logged into the PC) and a Send / Don't Send error report button, which we know are just placebos because sending these reports don't fix the problem.

What do you think is causing this?  I wanted to report the error not only to get help on it but to make the product better so future versions can be written to not have these errors.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone that has volunteered to help us debug this problem.  We believe we are on to a solid lead and fully expect that the next version of Flash Player will no longer exhibit this bug.  Until this release is available, please see this post for details on working around this problem.

Thanks,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So should we turn "allow Adobe to install updates" back on ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is the latest version now? Is it 11.3.300.265? If so had problems this morning 7-13-12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Origiin Micro - I would recommend turning it on and seeing if your crash was fixed with 11.3.300.265.  If so, great.  If it still occurs, just toggle it off for the time being.

We believe we are on to a solid lead and fully expect that the next version of Flash Player will no longer have this bug.  Until this release is available, please see this post for details on working around this problem.

Thanks,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this error 2 or 3 times a day and guaranteed every morning . Running 265 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried loading firefox for the 1st time and music worked on the current version of flash!  still not working with 265 on chrome or explorer.

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I use XP Pro, SP3, IE8 and when you go to Control Panel, then click on Flash Player, then select Advanced Tab, there are bullets, one of which is the, "Notify me to install updates." 

Via your suggestion from post: 7/12 in response to poster: Origin Micro: your instructions are incorrect:

-there is NO "change update settings" and,

-there is NO "windows confirmation." 

So you are not talking about XP.

Then you say, "close Control Panel."  Now what?  Everything is still the same.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I am getting the Flash player 11.3 r300 error message saying it has to close and I am not even on the net. It pops up on my desktop.

And I just spoke with an IT guy who said that the latest flash player update was geared for IE9 yet I see numerous cases where this OS is equally affected.

All of this because I updated via a prompt from adobe and the update was from adobe, no third-parties. Additionally, the update did not and will not include the

plug-in. Yet once the download is complete, adobe takes me to a window saying the download was succesful. And even plays the confirmation flash screen.

Then I go to add/ remove programs and flash player is on the list, yet there is no corresponding file size and the plug-in is not even on the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@brianchaffee - What problem are you running into?  Is it the FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe crash?  Regardless, you are correct.  XP is slightly different.  In this case, go to the Advanced tab and simply click the "Notify me to install updates" option under the Updates section, then close the control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had to resort to "notify me of updates"  After downloading newest version   .265   ..same problem back again.  I am leaving for vacation today, so I will be out of the loop for a week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK with the update, resorting back to "notify me for updates" does not stop the error from occuring....Boss just got it again on his computer.....Now what?????  I am leaving soon for vacation and the boss is getting rather flustered....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris Campbell - Chris, every site I visit tells me the same thing: You need flash player to view this video. [Also, please refer to my original post where I dilineate all that is a problem on this end.]

QUESTION:

- how is it that I go to Adobe, click on and download latest flash player, then I am taken to another page where the flash mini-movie and worded confirmation that I now have the latest flash player and yet when looking in: Control Panel > click on Flash Player, it says ActiveX Player Installed/ Plug-In NOT Installed: Why doesn't the Plug-In install?

- even not logged onto the net, the 11.3 300r message pops up on desktop saying the flash player has to close, sorry for the inconvenience, etc., why?

We are all getting the same errors for the most part and dealing with the same problem.

I really appreciate you staying around here Chris, but it seems obvious you [and Adobe] do not know what the problem is. This is not to be unkind but citing a trueism. We are all unable to access flash oriented video one way or another. That is the problem.

So I do not understand your question you asked me above which was: "What exactly is the problem you are experiencing?" Answer: We downloaded your latest player and now it does not work at all. THAT is the problem. Across all browsers regardless. All this while html5 comes roaring up from behind.

What does Shantanu Narayen, Adobe's CEO have to say about this? How about your IT department?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHRIS

I am desparate to solve this idiotic issue with the flash update service crashing. Please ref http://forums.adobe.com/message/4561041 where I have a post near the bottom about Windows 2003. Even thought I have installed or deleted every bleeding flash thing I can find, that error message pops up for all of my terminal services users every day. They and I are fed up with it and Flash and Adobe. How can you guys be so cavilier about a major fault like this?

Please jump into that thread and tell me how to get rid of this garbage software. It's been daunting me and all of my users for over a week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uniquehandle,

Yeah I had a few more cases of this flash update service crashing. I'd rip it out too but our main website uses flash.  Our marketing team is working on redesigning our website and the number 1 thing from our VP of marketing is NO FLASH!  Not due to this issue though, thats more because iPads and iPhones see our home page distorted without flash.  I think flash is starting to get less popular thanks to apple.  Once our web applications are moved away from flash we can uninstall it because there's no real reason to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please just allow backup and stop all this craziness!

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:38:21 -0600

To: rhayward1952@hotmail.com

Subject: FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe Application Error

Re: FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe Application Error

created by KJSTech in Installing Flash Player - View the full discussion

uniquehandle, Yeah I had a few more cases of this flash update service crashing. I'd rip it out too but our main website uses flash. Our marketing team is working on redesigning our website and the number 1 thing from our VP of marketing is NO FLASH! Not due to this issue though, thats more because iPads and iPhones see our home page distorted without flash. I think flash is starting to get less popular thanks to apple. Once our web applications are moved away from flash we can uninstall it because there's no real reason to use it.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Installing Flash Player by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the folks affected by this: Could you please post a list of the anti-virus and/or anti-spyware software that you're running on your systems? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symantec Endpoint Protection RU1 MP1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition 9.0.930

Last scan: 7/22/12, 12:00 PM

Last update 7/25/12, 2:07 PM

Virus DB: 2437.1.1/5154

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as reminder of something I posted earlier.

we have two machines with flash installed. One has both the plug-in and active-X versions installed, and auto-update selected. We have NO issues with this system. The other one only has the active-x version installed, and that one gets the error message. It looks like something in the update is trying to update the plug-in even though it isn't installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a system that has both plugins installed (and they were both deployed via Group Policy using Adobe's MSI package), and it still gets the crash errors.

BUT...is there something related to how the plugin is deployed? We always use MSI to push out updates for Flash (which appears to have other problems... see this: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3293566 ).

What do you think?

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Stephen Pohl,

I'm running Windows XP PRO SP3 and Outlook Express 6 and Windows Internet Explorer 8. Also running:

avast!  Program version 7.0.1456

Virus      version 120725--0

# definitions        3.546.212 

I do not have this problem any more since 07/12/12.

See messages above 2   7/12/12

5   7/15/12

8   7/17/12

I still do not have this problem to this date. Good luck.

Sincerely,

Betty A Knight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Stephen Pohl, I have Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition on 2 computers and Windows Security Essentials on a third computer. All three computers are on a network connected to the Internet through a router. All three computers had problems until I switched the option to "Notify me to install updates", and none have had problems since. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@StephenPohl,

XP Pro SP3 and IE8

avast! ProgVers. 7.0.1456

VirusDef. 120726-0

@BettyAKnight,

What did you do that you no longer have the problem as of 07/12/12?

@All,

-is the Plug-In Version showing under your Advanced Tab?

-I have not had any crashing, just a message at all streaming sites, [ YT, Vimeo, etc. ] saying you need to install Flash

-I have Safari loaded on my machine and can watch some 60-70% of videos no problem

Regards,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Brian,

As my previous messages stated, basically when I went to update Flash, each time the download would get about one-half done (on the slide) for the "downloading part" and it would stop with the error display that a previous version of Flash was running and it would need to stop now. I tried then to find a Flash program that was running so I could delete or uniunstall it and then try again. Well, I couldn't find a Flash program and so after trying that new download two different times and getting the same error messages, I decided to look into the "hidden files" and I found it in either "Local Files" or "Application Data" (I'm sorry I can't remember which one (I'm a retired 90 year old retired Mainframe Computer Programmer and Internet Independent Contractor and my memory is just a little less than it should be) and I deleted it right there in C:\dell\fist\flash.

Then I went back to Adobe and did another download of Flash and this time it completed the download AND the install part correctly. And since then I have not received that error message and haven't to this date. My computer specifics are in the following message numbers above in this group -- 2, 5, and 8.

I'm using a Dell Vostro 3700 Laptop. I would like to add that I just now did a search again for "Flash" and quite a few derivatives of that name showed up in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash.

Now to your other question; I do find I have the "Advanced" tab and a dot in the option

"Never check for updates (not recommended)."  My installation shows as 11,3,300,265 and not 11,3,300,268.

Take good care.

Sincerely,

Betty A Knight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Betty,

Thank you for your detailed response.

You said that your current Flash build is: .[ ending in ] 265. Questions:

- is that your ActiveX Version? If so,

- is your Plug-In Version the same, .265, or

- does it end in, .268

Additionally, I am no longer getting the error message, which I ONLY got when I was NOT on the net; it would just pop-up on the desktop. And as I said,

NO crashing at all.

And I would add, that your mind is very sharp and I thank you for input here.

Regards,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your nice reply.

This morning I did another update to Adobe's Flash and it went perfectly and completed correctly. Now I have installed in my

C:\Windows\system32\FlashPlayerApp.exe which shows in the Advanced Tab as "Never check for updates (not recommended) and  under the "Check Now" box, it shows ActiveX Version: 11.3,300.268 and Plug-in Version: 11.3.300.265.

I still don't get the error stops and I guess until something new happens, it is finished with me. If I can answer any other questions, please let me know. Thanks again and take good care.

Sincerely,

Betty A Knight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines