• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble upgrading to newest version

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling for a couple days now, wishing to be able to watch some live streaming that others can see but I can't.  It was suggested I upgrade to the latest version of Flash player.  Tried many things, uninstalling and reinstalling and even deleting previous versions of flash, twiddling with setting in Macafee and Adblocker settings on Firefox, and using other browsers including IE, Safari, and Chrome.  Got myself into a mess where the installer couldn't complete because of a missing dll and finally did a System Restore to a previous date before I started all this, and tried the download again.

The process appeared to have gone smoothly, and the test showed successful, but said that I had successfully downloaded version 10.0.32.18, rather than 10.0.42.34 which is apparently the current version.  The streaming video I am wanting to watch still won't come through for me.  What do you suggest?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 15, 2010 Jan 15, 2010

Hi 321, well that is great news indeed. I didn't have any problem on the bear site. Very interesting site. I have watched live web cams before on American Eagle Nests and other birds.

Thanks for the explanation of your last couple of posts. On the IE add ons, I don't think we need to make any adjustments unless you have different than the last list.

Add/Remove re: Java is exactly what you want. Add ons look ok. With this Java 18 update they did remove the previous.

So if you happen to go to a websi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jan 14, 2010 Jan 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

321, you do not have enough patience. We need to take turns in posting:-) I post, then it's your turn, I post, then it's your

turn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have gotten rid of McAfee and installed AVG - for some reason don't see how

to disable AVG.

Also finally discovered another GetPlus in Add/Remove, it had been hiding in

alphabetical order under G instead of up with the other Adobe products so deleted

that. Looks like that troublesome Shockwave add-on has finally disappeared, altho I

was still seeing it for awhile it doesn't seem to be there now.

I did the uninstall Flash Player. Ready to try installing Flash for IE but worrying

whether I need to disable AVG, so if you can share what you know about how to do

that it would be helpful.

Haven't located the link to download Firefox Flash to desktop.

That old DLM is still existing in Add/Remove. Says can't remove because

Progfiles/NOS/bin/getplus_Helper.dll doesn't exist.

Apologies for violating any communication etiquette, just seems that I often think

of more pertinent info that might be helpful to your thought process right after I

have already hit send.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey 321, all is ok. I think we need an Adobe Chat!! LOL Glad you took care of McAfee & got AVG. Yes, it is very simple.

From memory here, right click on the AVG icon in the system tray, click on Open User Interface, Double click on the

Resident Shield. Un-tick the option Resident Shield active. Save the changes. Do the same thing again and this time

Double click on the LinkScanner. Un-tick the option Enable AVG Search-Shield and the Enable Active Surf-Shield.

Save the changes. Now there is also in the system tray the Balloon tray notifications. Go back and click on the AVG icon

in the system tray, when the window opens, at the top, click on tools(not IE tools), select Advanced Settings option.

Select the Appearance option from the left navigation tree. Now in the right hand part of this dialog there is "Balloon try

notifications" section. Click on that and all of those entries will be disabled.  You might want to copy, paste and print this

so you know how to enable it all when you are finished.

Now before you run the Installer for FP in IE, go and check the add ons and see if the old vs. of Shockwave Flash Object is there. If that old version is there then it wasn't removed by the Uninstaller and you need to run it again because the Installer will not remove that old version.

So Getplus was hiding? I'm not surprised:-) Keep in mind this is related to the DLM. The reason it wasn't listed with Adobe

is because it is a Thired Party Downloader that Adobe uses. Didn't you delete the gp.ocx file last night?

Go over this. I'll get the FF link. The way I did it was so simple, so don't look for a link yet. I'll tell you how I did it and there

was no problem, although I did have a problem with a different FF link.

You are doing fine, I know this is a lot of work, but to just give you the uninstall link and the install link would not have helped you. All that we are doing is prep work, so you have the best chance of a successful Uninstall and Install.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

321, getting ready to leave. Here is the link for the FF.

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe

Using Firefox, all other browsers closed, Do the following FIRST!

Before you go to that link, go to this one FIRST! http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about There is a chance that it will tell you that you need the Flash Plugin which is FF, click on it and it will install. That is what I did last night. Be sure to try this FIRST.

Talk to you later.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this may just be solved, but I won't mark it such until we communicate one

more time later regarding Java and whether you think I need to do anything with all

those possible extraneous files and also what add-ons should be enabled and

disabled in both browsers.

I think I have way too many add-ons in Firefox because I had downloaded a few

things awhile back thinking maybe this or that would solve my problems, so wouldn't

mind going over that list with you too.

My latest confession is that I had reactivated AVG and forgot to disable it again

when I loaded the Firefox plugin. It says it loaded okay. I can't get the bear

site with Firefox, but a few days ago I remember others also saying they needed to

use IE to watch that for whatever reason, so as long as that site works in IE and

Firefox will play other video, maybe that's as good as it's all going to get. I can

watch Youtube videos okay on Firefox now.

If you think it was a problem to have loaded the firefox plugin without disabling

AVG again first, I can go back through the procedure now that I have the

instructions, but I'll wait for your opinion on that as well as the Java and

firefox addons, and later is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 321, Just reviewed the latest posts. Well, you are making progress:-) The fact that you can't access that site with FF

is most likely due to the add ons. We'll get to that.

Would you take a look at Post#63, which procedure did you use to install FF?

If FF installed ok no need to repeat.

Take a look at the Flash folder and let me know all that is listed now.

In Add/Remove, let me know all Java entries.

I think we are done uninstalling/installing FP in IE and FF.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the FF plug=in from the page you referred me to, the one click process

rather than downloading to desktop from the other link.

Currently in the Flash folder:

Flash 10d.ocx

Flashutil10d.exe

KB923789.inf

NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe

uninstall_plugin.exeflashplayer.xpt

install.log

NPSWF.dll

uninstall_activeX.exe

In Add/Remove:

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_01

Java (TM) 6 Update 13

Java (TM) 6 Update 17

Java (TM) 6 Update 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info on the install of the FF link, that was the one that asked for the plugin. That was something new to me since I don't have FF on my system. Well, glad to know that, IE should be so easy:-)

Your Flash folder looks good, it has all IE files and FF files. I don't see anything amiss.

Glad to see the Java is listed in Add/Remove. What I am debating is whether to Remove all 4 entries and have you install the latest(which I just found out about 30 minutes ago is update 18) The reason is that Java has an Uninstaller now, but

it only uninstalls the previous version which would be update 17. I don't think it would be a good idea to remove 17, since

a lot of websites may still use it since the update 18 just came out. They need time to update their websites. Several Microsoft MVP's are of the opinion to uninstall all versions but the current. I will find out how best to proceed and have that info for you tomorrow.

That old Shockwave Flash Object- still working on that. Also that DLM; however I think it is mute since you deleted the gp.ocx file Wed night and when you found the Getplus in Add/Remove, you removed that. Then the DLM in Add/Remove

said you couldn't remove it because that Progfiles/NOS/bin/getplus_Helper.dll doesn't exist. That in addition to the fact that the DLM did not trigger when you installed FP in IE; had it been "working" or "active" it would have. So I think that is a dead issue now.

Java, the old vs of Shockwave Flash Object and your FF plugins should wrap it up.

You can post the FF add ons, extensions and plugins whenever you like. I'll get the Java info and see about the SWO.

Well, I'm going to be signing off in a few minutes. Rough 2 days:-)

Thanks 321

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here goes with the FF Add-ons. They are many - some I actually got on purpose

for good reason, some grabbed in desperation thinking they'd make something or

other work better, and some I have no idea what they are or why they're there.

Extensions:

AdBlock Plus 1.1.3

Ancestry.com Advanced Image Viewer 1.0.0.1

AVG Safe Search 9.0.0.716

Flash Video Resources Downloader 1.0.3

Java Quick Starter 1.0

Microsoft.NET Framework Assistant 1.1

RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin 1.0

Skype Extension for Firefox 3.3.0.3971

Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-out 2.0

Veoh Video Compass 1.5.2

Plugins:

Adobe Acrobat 9.1.0.163

Ancestry.com Image Viewer Plugin 1.0.0.1

Google Update 1.2.183.13

iTunes Application Detector 1.0.1.1

Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.170.4

Java(TM) Platform SE6U13 6.0.130.3

Java(TM) Platform SE6U17 6.0.170.4

Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503 (DRM Netscape Network Object)

Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503 (DRM Netscape Network Plugin)

Mozilla Default Plugin 1.0.0.15

Picasa 3.0.0.0

QuickTime Plugin 7.6.4 7.6.4.0

RealJukebox NS Plugin 1.0.3.69

RealPlayer Version Plugion 6.0.12.69

RealPlayer(tm) 62 Live Connect-Enabled Plugin (32-bit) 6.0.12.69

Scorch Plugin 6.0.7.15

Shockwave Flash 10.0.42.34

Shockwave for Director 11.5.2.602

Silverlight Plugin 3.0.40818.0

Veoh Web Player Beta 1.0.0.1

Windows Media Player Plugin Dynamic Link Library 3.0.2.629

Windows Presentation Foundation 3.5.30729.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 321, On the FF Extensions: Keep Enabled: Microsoft.NET Framework Assistant 1.1, Disable all others.

Plugins: Keep Enabled: Adobe Acrobat, Java Deployment Toolkit, Java (TM) Platform SE 6U 17 6.0.170.4, Mozilla Default

Plugin 1.0.0.15, Shockwave Flash Object 10.0.42.34, Windows Media Player (DLL 3.0.2.629), Windows Presentation

Foundation 3.5.30729.1.  Disable all others.

After you Disable those in your FF plugins and extenstions, Reboot.

Then try your site you have been unable to access.

I realize some of these you want Enabled, this is temporary as you can always Enable them as needed, until you find out which ones are conflicting with either Flash Player or certain websites.

QuickTime and the plugins, RealPlayer and their plugins and Windows Media Player and their plugins. Do you need all three? Don't they do mostly the same thing? I don't know, since I only use Windows Media Player.

On Adobe Air and Acrobat, I would read on what they are for and then make a decision on whether you need them, if not,

remove them from Add/Remove & Reboot.

Something to keep in mind when it comes to add ons, these all affect the browser and they play nicely together or they conflict with other add ons.

AdBlock, this blocks ads. But think about it, it Blocks Flash. Most all websites use Flash, so blocking Flash ads, it in effect, going to conflict with the website.

The Java will be taken care of when we uninstall and install the latest update.

Since you have so many add ons in FF, you need to decide which programs you actually use and need. If for example,

you need to use RealPlayer, then enable that plugin, and so on. Do a little experimenting, many programs work find without the plugin. With add ons, the rule is the less, the better since they all affect the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 321, ok this is your info on Java.

I would close all browsers for this. Go to Add/Remove and Remove the following only:

Java 2 RunTime Environment SE v 1.4.2_01

Java (TM) 6 update 13

Java (TM) 6 update 7

Then Reboot, Open the IE browser and go to this site: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Look for "Here are the Java SE downloads in detail" Below that look for JRE 6 update 18, click on the orange "Download"

Decline any Toolbar offer. If you are asked if you want to keep the previous version(Java(TM) 6 update 17, say YES.

After the installation is complete, Reboot.

Then check your Add/Remove and list what is there. Check the add ons and list what is now there regarding Java.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you have sent a msg re Java, which I have not yet given my attention to.

At this point, I have disabled all the extensions and plugins you suggested and no

longer get the entry screens to attempt starting video = not on the bear page nor

youtube or the front page of a newspaper site.

Re your question about Real Player, Quicktime, Silverlight, etc., those were there

because certain websites have called for them, and when something attracts my

interest, I do whatever it takes to view the content. If I don't need them I'm

happy to do without them.

Last night when I still had all the FF extensions and plugins enabled, the bear

site, which I can now watch on IE, would when I attempted to access it in Firefox

throw up an error msg about something called liverail, with a website reference

that always stayed up so briefly I couldn't write it down, but I think I intuited

from something I found when I was searching out info that it also had something to

do with Flash. Now I don't even get the entry screen, and Firefox seems to be slow

in general. Maybe I need to turn the DSL modem off and on too.

Do you suggest I play with putting various FF extensions and plugins back on, or do

the Java procedures you suggest first?

I will also eventually need guidance as to what to do about the IE extensions that

we disabled along the way.

You may be interested to know that how I got into using Firefox in the first place

was because I became disenchanted with IE when they went to version 7, the same

feelings you have expressed, but I switched rather than try and find the way back,

on my previous computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 321, the entry screens on the bear site, youtube and the newspaper site. Are you indicating this change is bad or good? I think you posted the site URL and I'll go to it to see it.

The RealPlayer, QuickTime and Silverlight and other add ons can wait. What I was attempting to do was disable those that in my opinion may be blocking the bear site or any others that you could not access properly. No problem in keeping them disabled temporarily, we are not removing or deleting them.

The only thing I can think of if using FF and having trouble with the bear site is that perhaps one of those extensions or plugins were necessary for that site. I will know a little more when I go to the site and see if I have any trouble.

While I am doing that, I think we should go ahead and take care of the Java. Now keep in mind, use IE for that.

Once we get that taken care of there is a FF link to install Java also.

Not sure about the error you got with FF and the bear site. A router could have some bearing on that particular site, don't know for sure. I'll let you know what I find on the site itself.

On the Java install, I forgot to say that it will ask if you want Automatic Updates, I would Decline that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Went ahead with the Java install. Chose the offline install and it didn't ask

whether I wanted to save previous version.

Now in Add/Remove, only Java(TM)6 Update 18

IN IE Add-ons:

Name JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class

Publisher Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Status Disabled

File date Today, January 15, 2010, 8 minutes ago

Version 6.0.180.7

Load time (0.03 s)

Name Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper

Status Disabled

File date Today, January 15, 2010, 9 minutes ago

Version 6.0.180.7

Load time (0.63 s)

Name Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18

Status Enabled

Version 1.6.0.18

Name Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18

Status Enabled

Version 1.6.0.18

Name isInstalled Class

Status Enabled

Version 6.0.180.7

Those are under "all add-ons" - under "currently loaded addons" are only:

Status Disabled

File date Today, January 15, 2010, 10 minutes ago

Version 6.0.180.7

Load time (0.63 s)

Status Disabled

File date Today, January 15, 2010, 11 minutes ago

Version 6.0.180.7

Load time (0.03 s)

IN Firefox Plugins:

Status Disabled

Version 6.0.180.7

Load time (0.03 s)

Status Disabled

Version 6.0.180.7

Load time (0.03 s)

I guess I have saved the best for last! Just checked that elusive site, and I now

get it without any problems in Firefox!!! Eureka! Thank you so much!

So other than any further suggestions about other add-ons and plugins that might

need to be re-enabled, I think we're finally done! Thank you so very much for all

the time you've invested in helping me through this. I think my whole internet

experience will be much more enjoyable now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe because I used the "offline" installation I wasn't asked about the auto

updates either, but did see something along the way that indicated that automatic

updates would happen.

And it seems to have installed in both Firefox and IE, per my previous message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and by the way, they've changed how that bear site works, it used to

automatically jump from one site to another and now is available two ways. The one

that used to give me the liverail error on FF is

http://www.wildearth.tv/static/bearden which has now worked just fine for me since

the Java install.

And when I said "entry screen" I was referring to, both on that site and anything

with youtube, I at that point was not receiving the usual box with play arrow to

click on, nothing but black space - again, until the Java install and now all the

usual parts show up perfectly again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 321, well that is great news indeed. I didn't have any problem on the bear site. Very interesting site. I have watched live web cams before on American Eagle Nests and other birds.

Thanks for the explanation of your last couple of posts. On the IE add ons, I don't think we need to make any adjustments unless you have different than the last list.

Add/Remove re: Java is exactly what you want. Add ons look ok. With this Java 18 update they did remove the previous.

So if you happen to go to a website and have a problem, it could be they have not updated their site to vs 18. They usually have advance notice of an Adobe or Java update, so you may not encounter that at all.

The main test of course, is does youtube work with IE & FF and any other websites you visit. If you've passed those,

then I think you have everything up to date. 

If you ever have a problem, you can always post back to this site. That would be better than starting a new thread, since all of your info is here.

On your FF add ons, I would keep everything and if there is one you want to Enable, do one at a time and test it. If it causes a problem then you know which one it is. If you enable all of them at once, you will not know which is causing a problem.

You might want to keep your info from all you did, since Adobe Flash Player has another update on the way

Enjoy your bears too.

Also don't forget to mark this thread as answered as this helps other users with similar problems.

Thank you and thanks for working with me to get this solved.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks 321!

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabled AVG. Checked for Shockwave add-on in IE - it was no longer there.

Ran Flash installer for IE. Shockwave add-on re-appeared in IE add-ons, still

version 10.0.22.87. Says it is located in file Flash10d.ocx in

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash. It shows enabled.

Wow...I just tried accessing that site I was having trouble with, and it works now!!

So maybe if you've found the Firefox link, I can re-enable the AVG and be done with

all this madness. Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can concur, i had similar problems with McAfee software i now use  the free avira antivir with no problems with flash .

(i like to play flash highscore games and it is important for me to always have the lateset flash version for those games)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cat, Thanks for the vote!! LOL That McAfee is being pushed on a lot of software installs though. I was going to order a new Dell, but you could not refuse the install of McAfee. Dell promotes it as free, hey I don't want it period! I heard avira is pretty good.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and yes, I'd be fine with ditching McAfee. Have never had Norton on this machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now this is curious. The Shockwave add-on no longer appears in IE. It was there

after all the reboots yesterday and I did nothing new since we last communicated.

But when I shut down last night there were automatic updates - maybe something in

the updates cleared it out.

The only Java Add-on currently showing in IE is Java Plug-In SSV Helper

In Add/Remove there are:

Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_01

Java 6 Update 13

Java 6 Update 17

Java 6 Update 7

Still unable to play any flash content on IE or Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just discovered something. There is a toggle I hadn't seen, and I was giving

you "currently loaded add-ons"

There's another called all add-ons" which shows more than I had previously told

you, some of which are enabled, including the Veoh Video Player. There are

actually TWO

listings of Java 6 Update 17 1.6.0.17 and now I also see another Sun Microsystems

entry, separate from the others - Here are the entries for Java

Publisher (Not verified) Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Status Disabled

File date Sunday, October 11, 2009, 4:17 AM

Version 6.0.170.4

Load time (0.03 s)

Status Disabled

Version 6.0.170.4

Load time (0.63 s)

Name Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17

Status Enabled

Version 1.6.0.17

Name Java Plug-in 1.6.0_07

Status Enabled

Version 1.6.0.7

Name Java Plug-in 1.6.0_13

Status Enabled

Version 1.6.0.13

Name Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17

Status Enabled

Version 1.6.0.17

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

321, was waiting on your reply to my post #50.

On your new Java entries.

JQSIE-keep disabled

2 SSV     "         "

1.6.0_17  Enable

1.6.0_07  keep disabled

1.6.0_13  keep disabled

1.6.0_17  Enabled

When you uninstall the old Java then the only one you want is the JRE(tm)1.6.0_17 a couple of add ons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines