Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

1. How to identify hidden paragraphs?

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am opening a pagemaker document (.pmd) using trial version of Framemaker 12.0. It opens and is fantastic. I then convert this file into a html as that is my goal. Now I see lot of other text in the converted html. I do not see these text in the Framemaker window when I open the .pmd file. Where can I uncover these hidden texts?

Another problem that I am facing is that the conversion order gets jumbled on its own. I am not sure if there is any numbering that the Framemaker follows in doing the conversion. But I see the heading at the end of the article. How to rectify this and get the document right after conversion to html?

I would like to know how to copy a frame with text inside and paste it in another framemaker document. This means I have opened an existing .pmd file in Framemaker. Now I open a new blank file and try to copy a frame with content and place it in the new blank document that I opened. How do I do this?

Sorry for asking multiple questions in one thread. As all these are closely related to the issue that I am facing, I have raised this in one thread. Will be grateful to your answers. Thanks in advance.

Sam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I wasn't even aware that FM could open Pagemaker docs - but since you were able to import it, the first thing I think I would do would be a MIF-wash of the resulting .fm doc (search "MIF wash" on these forums to get the procedure if you're not familiar). That might eliminate a bunch of junk that came over in the conversion. Then you'll want to go through the resulting .fm doc and apply your FM paragraph and character tags.

The concept of reusing FM content inside another FM doc is called text insets - have a look in the help about how to use them. Remember, FM docs can also be reused in their entirety by including the same file in multiple books (.book structures).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Along with @Jeff_Coatsworth, I'm pretty surprised that Fm opened the PageMaker file. And even more surprised to see that PageMaker is still out there!

As you've found, one of the problems with bringing in a PageMaker document is that PageMaker easily allows multiple text frames. In fact, it's one of the strengths of the "original" DTP application.

My guess is that the text frame with the header was created after the text frame with the content. When FrameMaker process the file, it's "seeing" and processing the header text frame after it has already processed the content frame.

Perhaps PageMaker has an export format like RTF that will process content "chronologically", allowing you to import in the correct order?

Please come back and let me know, as I'd like to put this into the next iteration of my FrameMaker book.

-Matt

techcommtools.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines