• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

1000+ files in a book! and I need to number them

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was recently tasked to add a "page" number to each file or CARD for a manual.

With 1000+ files in this FrameMaker Book, they have been placed in order to publish, but we are trying to avoid manually numbering each file in this sequence:

CARD NUMBER

1-001 (section 1 - file 1)

1-002 (section 1 - file 2)

1-003  (section 1 - file 3)

2-001, 2-002, ... (section 2 - file counter)

3-001, 3-002, 3-003, ... 3-684

etc.

In each file has multiple pages, but the page numbering is not necessary. However, the each file has multiple locations within the document that display numbers the section and card. The numbers have been manually numbered, and so it may work initially. But if files need to be moved or added or deleted, manually repairing this book would be nightmarish to say the least.

I don't remember the rules for using sections and subsections, but how do you put numbering in a 3 digit container so numbers for each Card show up  001, 002, 003, etc?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do leading zeros in FrameMaker numbering. This may be scriptable though. Please contact me off-list: rick at frameexpert dot com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there are ways to do LZs in FM, but they are all hacks, like the 'ol Tab trick that Barb referenced.

If the final page layout permits, and the numbers are never Xref'd, another is to use a very high number range and mask off the leading digit. So, to have a page range of 0001-9999, use an actual range of 10001-19999, and either clip the leading 1 with a confined frame edge, or mask it with a graphic rectangle. It won't be hidden in PDF nav menus, of course.

LZ is a long-standing enhancement opportunity in FM,
as is being able to use arbitrary sequences of Unicode (presently possible only in custom footnote numbering).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mgt:

The section and subsection building blocks aren't what they appear to be—they are used for nested chapters in a hierarchical book. 

That said, all numbering—beyond page numbering—is handled via a paragraph style, including sections and subsections with in a file. I'm not quite clear on the layout, but I think you want the three digits to appear on the first page of each file? For that I would set up a chapter number building block that will increment for each subsequent chapter/card.

Note that FrameMaker does not support automatically adding the leading zeros. This post addresses a workaround, but it may not be satisfactory, based on my quick read: https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/customizing-autonumbering/td-p/1821130?page=1.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick and Barb, thanks for the super quick reply! 

So to possibly further clarify, each file in the book has 2 or more pages, and I need the same value (#-###) to appear on all pages of that specific file with the next files in series to be #-##[n+] and so on until the next "set" - then that next set of files will have the first digit increase while the last digit restarts at 1.

Using the numbering tab in the paragraph designer, how would I set n values to only change per section and then another n value to change per file?

Thinking a little further in the box, can I manipulate FM to display file number?

From the booking angle, would I place each section inside their folders?

The beginning has a title, file, TOC, Changelog files

Section 1 has 3 files

S2 has 6 files

S3 has 700 files

S4 has 55 files

all the way S9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi mgt:

I think your best option to message Rick (frameexpert) because the leading zeros are the roadblock, and he may be able to help you get through it. If you decide not to pursue a scripting approach and if you can forgo the zeros, let us know and we can work through the numbering logic with you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines