• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anchored Frames, Graphic Frames,

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 7, FM 2015 Is it possible to place a graphic on a page with a numbered caption and have it stay in the same place on the same page even if editing before and after is done? Anchored frames don't work because they constantly move around, Graphic frames don't work because the caption is out of the flow and won't update and tables won't work because you have to chose flow to avoid white space.  Is there an answer I am overlooking? I am a novice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use graphic frames, but after you place the "static" graphic, expand the graphic frame and add a text frame INSIDE of the graphic frame. Apply the appropriate paragraph style. (I would suggest not mixing static and anchored graphics on the SAME page as the numbering might get our of order.) You can manually resize the text frame on the page or use text wrap on the graphic frame.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something isnā€™t working right on this.

I place a graphic frame on the page which puts it in FlowA.

I insert a graphic into the graphic frame and expand it slightly and draw a text frame.

In the text frame I apply a paragraph tag for a numbered caption.

It numbers the caption relative to the text frame inside the graphic frame and not FlowA.

Each paragraph within THAT caption, numbers correctly but in the next graphic frame the numbering on the caption re-starts at 1.

I want the captions to number sequentially in document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Airlens  wrote

I place a graphic frame on the page which puts it in FlowA.

As far as I understood, you want to place the graphic frame on the page, not inside Flow "A"?

If you just draw a graphic frame on the page it does not end up in Flow A.

Note, that if the numbered paragraph inside a text frame which is inside a graphic frame which is anchored in the text flow (uffā€¦), it picks up the numbering from this flow.

If the frame is unanchored (outside) of the flow, its numbering is running independently from the numbering of Flow A (or any other Flow).

Note that each text flow has its own numbering. That is, why your separated, unconnected text flows always restart at 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you will have to manually adjust the numbering--both for the unanchored frame and the following figure caption.

Have you looked a positioning an anchored frame at the bottom of a column? It will eventually reflow, but the reflow would be less than a standard inline frame.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get the auto-numbering to work in the graphic frame using a round-about approach using an auxialliary small anchored frame.

1. Place a small anchored frame located outside of text flow (or column depending upon your page layout) in the appropriate location for the numbering sequence.

2. In that anchored frame insert a text frame containing the autonumbered paratag for that figure.

3. Apply a character style that uses only a colour set to "Invisible" in the Color Views settings.

4. In the graphic frame text frame use a cross-reference to the figure paratag in the text frame of the anchored frame to pick up the autonumber.

5. Use the Color Views to set the View to make the colour for the anchored frame paratag "Invisible". This will prevent the anchored frame's text from being seen, but FM will always know the content.

To create an "Invisible" colour:

1. In the Colour Views setting:

a) select a View number (I usually use View 6)

b) move a colour that you want to represent Invisible into the Do Not Print (right-hand) column (I usually use Magenta for visual contrast on the page when viewing in "Visible" mode)

2. To work with colours in the "Visible" mode stay in the default View mode (View 1).

3. To make the colour invisible, switch to View 6. [Use the shortcut <esc> v 6   -- this also works at the book level for ll documents in the book!]

4. To switch back to a "Visible" to edit/add more invisible text, use the <ec> v 1 shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis: My experience with this solution is:

1) anchored frame(s) outside the text column  stay only on the page where the anchor(s) is, (but can be referenced from anyplace)

2) if you add another anchored frame(s) on the next page the numbering starts at 1 again (if i knew how, this could probably be fixed)

3) if you have 50 graphic frames with a numbered caption, does that mean i need 50 anchored frames to cross-reference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1) Correct, the anchored frame stays with anchor (hence the name). As you add/change content the location will change.

2) A text frame placed within an anchored frame is considered part of the flow that contains the anchor. If your figure captions use a series number, then the numbering for that should be continuous within any single document and is ultimately controlled by the numbering properties set at the book level. If they are always reverting to "1", then please post your autonumber sequence used in the paratag definition (from the Paragraph Designer).

3) If you need 50 graphic frames independent of the content flow, then you might need to reconsider your document design. I provided a workaround for the specific case of keeping a graphic on a specified page and keeping numbering within a specified sequence. Why are you not using anchored frames for all of those 50 graphics? Is there information that you have not made available?

[Inadvertently posted from alternate account - sorry about any confusion. Arnis]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines