• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply Master Page based on Element

Enthusiast ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've set up the following StructMasterPageMaps on the Reference Page of a structured document:2021-06-02_15h44_00.png

In my document Body page, I have content complying with the following Structure:

2021-06-02_15h44_36.png

When I apply master pages (Format > Page Layout > Apply Master Pages), the default Left/Right Master Pages are still applied and not the No_Header_Footer_Right/No_Header_Footer_Left Master Pages respectively.

There are no UnstructMasterPageMaps set up on the Reference page.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advisor , Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Quintin,

There are some typos in your master page mapping table. Look at the Console pod after you apply master pages and note the line:

One or more master pages do not exist. Aborting "Apply Master Pages..."!

That message refers to the entry near the bottom for E:BackCover which applies master page BackPage_Core. I assume you meant Backpage_Core. Changing the 'P' to lowercase and then applying master pages results in  the No_Header_Footer_Right/No_Header_Footer_Left master page

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

I feel like a complete muppet. Huge apology for wasting your time, Lynne. Turns out I did have a typo in one of my MasterPage names in the mapping table. Fixed it (and the typo in the Range Indicator column) and it worked. Talk about not seeing the forrest from the trees!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One obvious thing to check: all FrameMaker names are case-sensitive, so make sure all of the spelling is correct on master page names, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked and confirmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quintin,

Just to be sure, check the table tag and reference page tag. Also, look for another reference page that seems to have a mapping table.

--Lynne

P. S. Your second table row has a context label "{first}". Does the context label defined in the EDD have the braces? No punctuation is needed in the master page mapping table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynne,

Not sure what you mean by the table tag and reference page tags. I've copied the Element and Master Page names from the EDD and Master Pages Names respectively. The only other mapping table on the reference pages is the Unstructured Master Page Maps, which is currently empty.

Re the {first} context label. Is that not the equivalent to the context rule {first} in the EDD, i.e. the first occurance of the element? Do I need to use a different mechanism to identify the level 1 equivalent instance of the HeadingNoTOC element?

-Quintin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quintin,

The table tag is the table format or style name. Click in the table and use Table > Format or just type Ctrl-t. FrameMaker opens the Table Designer. The first field shows the table tag. The value must be StructMasterPageMaps.

The reference page tag is the name of the reference page displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the document window. It must be MasterPageMaps.

{first} is one of the sibling indicators permitted in a context specification in an EDD. Context labels are strings (chosen by the EDD developer) assigned in an EDD to an element in a particular context. Context labels can be used to include elements in a table of contents or other generated file only in some contexts. They can also used in a master page mapping table. In the latter case, there is no punctuation. There is a discussion of context labels in the Structure Application Developer's Guide.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynne,

The table style is StructMagerPageMaps. The name of the reference page is MasterPageMaps.

In the EDD, in the Level 1 rule for my HeadingNoTOC I've added Context label: Lvl1. In my StructMasterPageMaps table I've changed the Context to Lvl1. When I use Apply Masterpages, still nothing happens/changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quintin,

Send me the file and I'll take a look (tomorrow, my time).

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quintin,

There are some typos in your master page mapping table. Look at the Console pod after you apply master pages and note the line:

One or more master pages do not exist. Aborting "Apply Master Pages..."!

That message refers to the entry near the bottom for E:BackCover which applies master page BackPage_Core. I assume you meant Backpage_Core. Changing the 'P' to lowercase and then applying master pages results in  the No_Header_Footer_Right/No_Header_Footer_Left master pages applied to the entire document.

Your entry in the Range Indicator column in the last row is "Span" it should be "Span pages". You've misspelled "Single" in that column a couple of rows up.

I have tried "Span pages", "Single", and "Until changed"  in the last row and get the same results with all three. I'm not sure why.

I don't have time to test now, but I believe "Span pages" is a variation of "Single" and refers to the case in which the first paragraph in the selected element spans multiple pages.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I feel like a complete muppet. Huge apology for wasting your time, Lynne. Turns out I did have a typo in one of my MasterPage names in the mapping table. Fixed it (and the typo in the Range Indicator column) and it worked. Talk about not seeing the forrest from the trees!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sure if it's relevant, but the document was converted from an unstructured document using a conversion table.

Also, when using Format > Page Layout > Apply Master Pages, I'm also not getting the usual confirmation that this can't be undone - in fact no prompt at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines