• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there any applications that can import unstructured Frame binary files?

Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the participants on the Frameusers list is asking if there are any applications that can import a FrameMaker binary file for the purpose of editing it. The company is a large financial company with tight network security and industry and legal regulations controlling access and authorization. For obvious reasons, the company doesn't want to have programs on its network that have to "call home" for authentication.

Unfortunately, they've been unable to get either his previous version of Frame (11) to work or to get the most recent version (2019) to work, but I am unclear as to why they haven't been able to.

They are no longer using Frame at his place of business, so all new work is in a different application. However, he still needs to be able to update old files and convert them into the new format.

I am unaware of any application that can import .fm files, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm hoping someone here either knows of one or can help provide him with a way to get either his old or new version of Frame working without the need of an internet connection to authenticate it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin:

I don't know the answer to the first question (about Frame binary files), so on to question 2: he should reach out to tcssup@adobe.com for tech support to get FrameMaker up and running again.

And what app is he moving to? He could save his Fm docs as RTF and import them into InDesign, for example. Or open them in Word. There will be clean-up and reformatting to do.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the trial mode of recent FMs supposed to be able to run without an internet connection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, they use signing into your Adobe ID to validate your serial number & attempt to do a "phone home" periodically. The OP is working inside a super secure environment that has few holes to the outside world. Their main issue is that they can't get FM to even work to be able to attempt an export of FM content to some other product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Heh. The first thing I told him was that he needed to get his IT department working with Adobe Tech Support. I may be misreading what he wrote, but it sounds like that either isn't going to happen or has happened and didn't work. I'll provide the email address, though, just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are able to provide solutions for this type of environment. I've been in a similar situation  before. IT administrators need to be involved, and once proper paperwork is confirmed, they provide a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He reports that a call is being set up between between "his guys" and someone at Adobe. Why they didn't do this back in October is beyond me, but it sounds like he is headed for a resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lotus WordPro, which I believe is discontinued though, was able to edit and save into mif format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines