• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there settings to help with hanging?

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using FM15, and every time I click the mouse to perform an action, FM seemingly hangs for anywhere between 30-45 seconds. Which is an eternity since I move quickly. Are there any specific settings I need to address to assist with buffering. I have 16GB RAM.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Sharepoint?

It could be a Sharepoint configuration problem (paths)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, we are not using SharePoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without having much to go on, the first thing I would do is rename your preferences folder.

Details are at http://techcomm.tools/fm-prefs

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did do as you suggested (thank you for the video) and unfortunately, I am still having the same issue. I just started FM and as an example, after opening the book, I click on the FrontMatter file and it hangs for about 20 seconds while it opens. I then go to open another file, and it hangs again. While actually IN one of these files and wanting to say, navigate to page 23, it will hang again as if it is thinking.  So frustrating. Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Patti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is your FM content located? Local C:\ drive or on a network? Lots of graphics in them? If so, where are the sources located (you imported by reference, right?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM content is located locally on C:\ drive. Yes, some of the book files are heavy in graphics, and no, not all are imported by reference. That being said, this is happening with documents 1/10th the size and containing zero graphics; however, not as bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you previously able to (successfully) use FrameMaker on this system?

If so, what changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooh, great question. This is a new laptop, more RAM, bigger processor. I had previously used FM 8, and had to upgrade to FM15 (which we had purchased a couple years ago). I hadn't upgraded on the old laptop because of all the scripts I was using. I am not using any scripts with 15 yet; haven't had the time to import/fix/etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're using FrameMaker 2015, v. 13?

Have you confirmed you're using the latest patch, 13.0.5.547?

I'd be interested to see if a 30-day trial of Fm 2017 (v. 14) runs successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, using current patch 13.0.5.547

I will try the latest 30 day trial and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I download the trial version of 2017, what are the backwards compatibilities I need to be aware of? I would, of course, use a test book for the trial, but if I run into issues and need to uninstall, I don't want to break 2015.

Additionally, I was just working on a smaller book, which had 5 documents included and zero graphics, and FM was still hanging with each action I took.

Patti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run at least three versions of FrameMaker for many years. You won’t have a problem if or when you uninstall your trial version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Regarding the issues I am having with hanging, I have tested and discovered:

1. When I create a brand-new project within FM15, hanging does not occur.
  2. When I open pre-FM15 projects within FM15, hanging occurs.

While this is great news for new projects being created from a Word source, this is a huge problem when editing existing documents. I have hundreds and hundreds I cannot re-create from scratch.

In summary, when I am in FM15 and I open an existing book/file that was created in an earlier version of FrameMaker, I experience extreme hanging/buffering with every action taken.

Any and all suggestions to remedy this is greatly appreciated!

Patti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your experience the same with Fm 2017 trial?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Additionally, the existing FM files that are being opened in FM15 and hanging were created in FM8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it only seems to misbehave on older existing files, I wonder if a MIF-wash might prove useful in cleaning out any old Word cruft that may have accumulated in them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try creating a new 2015 doc and importing your content into it (File > Import > File, using the Copy into Document option)

Does the hanging still occur?

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines