Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Specs for DTP PC?

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello FM Community!

Hopefully you guys could provide me with some much needed advice.

We're looking at purchasing a new office PC, which would primarily be used as a dedicated PDF printing machine as the processes have been slowing down other applications on our current desktops (which are fairly lacking on processing power). I was aiming to custom build to get the most for the money, but I wanted to know whether a graphics card has much impact on DTP tasks and printing speed, or whether it's purely down to the processor & RAM.

Currently our PC's are pushing out a fairly large manual at 6+ hours..

But after printing the same manual in a couple of other environments, we got the following results

Environment 1 (office pc):           AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G @ 3.10GHz - 8gb RAM =  around 6 hours printing time

Environment 2 (laptop):               i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz - 16gb RAM = 25 minutes printing time.

Environment 3 (home PC):          i5-4310M @ 2.7GHz - 4gb RAM = 1 hour printing time.

Environment 4 (surface book):   i7-6600U @ 2.6GHz / 2.8GHz - 16gb RAM = 5-6 hours printing time.

We want to make sure that we aren't going to end up in the same position we are now with an insanely slow printing time - as often some change may need to be made to a manual post-printing and we end up losing another 6 hours.

We've put together the following parts, but any input would be very much appreciated (hopefully the link works)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QfcL8K

Regards,

Aidan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?