Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blurry Images

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I have a question regarding importing images into FrameMaker. 

Side note: I import by: Insert -> Image... -> *selects picture from appropriate folder*

Almost all of the figures I've inserted become blurry upon insertion. I've tried many methods to correct this:

-resize the image before insertion

-only use .png

-ensure that the source of the picture is not blurry

-played around with the DPI (in Object Properties)

-adjusted the size (width and size in Object Properties)

Yet, the images are all blurry. Below is an example. I did a screen grab of the calculator, saved it as a .png file, and inserted the image into the FrameMaker document. In the screen grab is the Object Properties for that particular image. I've tried other sources too. I've tried pictures taken by my phone and inserted those. Still blurry. I've saved images from PDFs and inserted. Still blurry. 

I've even tried to do the other method of insertion: file -> import -> file...->

I tried the 'import by reference' blurry image. I've also tried 'copy into document' also blurry. 

I attempted changing elements in the 'Object Style Designer'. No success. 

Heather_TechnicalWriter_0-1702661145793.png

Any help is appreciated. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of saving the image as PNG, allow it to save to the clipboard and then paste it into FrameMaker directly.

This is how I manage all screenshots in my FrameMaker reference/workbooks and training courses.

Sidenote: The scale of your document view will impact the scale of the imported graphic so decide on an ideal magnification of the document if you are pasting many screenshots in this way.

-Matt

learn.techcommtools.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt, yes just copying the image does result in better picture definition but formatting is a pain. For instance I have to completely move the image out of the larger frame it appears in, delete the frame, and then move the image back to where it was (I need all figures in the center of the page). Plus, whenever I resize the picture it goes back to being blurry. For the amount of pictures I'm having to insert into the manual I'm creating  'copying and pasting' isn't realistic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting...so you don't want your images in the flow of your document? (in anchored frames?)

Why can't you resize the frame to allow for the positioning you want?

Regarding the work involved in your management of graphics, consider creating an object style for the frame, and another for the graphic. Two clicks for the size and positioning are probably less work than your previous method of saving and importing from a file.

Regarding the "blurry" image after sizing, the final output will be unaffected; only the screen representation will be odd.

One last note: In the originally posted graphic, your placed image is larger in scale than your original source. By definition, anything you do to increase the scale of that screen capture will to some degree make the image blurry. The only way around this is (in your example) to somehow change the Calculator source image so that it is comprised of more pixels.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heather,

What is your output? Some images will look blurry in FrameMaker but will be fine when you output it. For example, I took a screenshot of the calculator and imported it at 72dpi like you did. It looks blurry in FrameMaker but when I save it as PDF it looks a lot better.

- Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, the output is blurry/just as bad in the PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The contextual questions of during-edit, and in-PDF-output will have different answers.

Another factor is what scaling is applied in Windows, and what screen res was in use.

What Windows saves to the clipboard may not be the set of pixels sent to the video frame buffer.

I'm running a 4K monitor at 150% scaling.
Copied to Photoshop and saved to PNG without edit.
The (Win10) calc comes in as a huge screencap (>300 dpi at 5in wide).
And yes, the preview quality (in FM2020) is degraded a bit vs. the live widget, but the PDF output looks fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines