• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book TOC not displaying correctly

Participant ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened two books (US and Canada).  When opening both books, I am also opening the individual section files (entire book). Canada has a correctly formatted TOC, and with the US manual I still have to generate the TOC, and then import the TOC formats from the Canadian manual TOC.  I generated the TOC for the US book, and I clicked on the TOC for Canada. The Canadian TOC never opens from within the Canadian book file.  The tab at the top says Canada TOC, but what I view is the US TOC in both the US and Canada TOC tabs.

What I see when clicking on the Canada TOC tab is the newly generated US TOC file that is not formatted.  Why would I not see the Canadian TOC when I open it (in its proper format), just like I did when I opened the Canadian manual by itself?  I even tried to import that styles from the Canada TOC, but that didn't work either.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine that you've checked that both .toc files are still shown as generated.

Their icons in the book panel are differentiated, and a right click has a working (not greyed-out) option for
Setup Standard …

And of course that the filenames don't include any unexpected path prefixes (i.e. the .toc files being used are where you expect them to be).

So are these US & Canada books the same content, or two different books?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are two different books.  Apparently, one of the supposed good TOC book files I had did not have the reference pages correct.  So, I found one that did and imported the Formats.  Everything seems to work okay, now.  However, none of the hyperlinks in the TOC work.  I checked the box in the generate TOC popup, but none of the topics are hyperlinked to the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new issue.  When I generate the TOC, the Headings do not hyperlink.  I checked the Create Hyperlink box when creating the TOC, but none of the TOC topics are hyperlinked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chances are that any of the .toc experts here will need to see what's on the Reference Page named TOC for those generated .toc files. And if that page is not found, that's apt to be the problem.

Then, any chance the headings being referenced have Character Formats (or overrides) applied? These can break the generated cross-references.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it all under control.  Got the TOCs working fine.  Had a couple of minor issues with Heading tag in the TOC, LOEP, and List of Figures.  Not sure why it was done that way orginally, but I added them to the MasterPages.  Had one final issue with numbering, but that has been fixed as well.  The issue with the TOC links not working was that the Paragraph Character Tags had Character Tags as well.  I removed the Character tags from a couple of sections and the TOC links worked. So, I am removing the Character Tags, now, and just using the Paragraph tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hyperlinks from one document to the other still do not work.  I saved both PDF files to the same folder (path) when created from FrameMaker, but the links still do not work.  They work fine when the FrameMaker files are in separate folders, but when PDFs are saved into the same directory, the links do not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: The hyperlinks from one document to the other still do not work.

As in, nothing happens, or some error thrown?

re: I saved both PDF files to the same folder (path) when created from FrameMaker…

What matters is where the two .fm (or .book) files are relative to each other when (what I presume are) the cross-references are created. I just tested an Xref (a deep Xref) from one .fm to another, in the same directory, and the link works regardless of where the PDFs are, as long as they are in the same dir.

If the source files are well down in the same file system, it appears that a relative path is created. If the files are on different logical drives, the path is likely going to be absolute (traverses /) and will only work if the absolute path relationship is maintained, and may well only work on your local system, and not when later served on a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing happens.

The FrameMaker books are in different folders on the S:/ drive (same relative path) but different directories. I asked before if the FrameMaker files had to be in the same directory and was told no. I was told that the FrameMaker files did not have to be in the same directory to generate the PDFs, as long as the PDFs are saved in the same folder.  So, apparently that is not true. 
The path to one Framemaker books is:

S:\Franchise Systems\Ken Weatherford - Working\FrameMaker Manuals\Canadian\Owners Only

The path to the second FrameMaker book is:

S:\Franchise Systems\Ken Weatherford - Working\FrameMaker Manuals\Canadian\Sales and Operating

They are in separate folders, but relative to each other when creating the FrameMaker links from one to the other. I was told to save the PDFs into a new folder and put them into the same folder.

So, where do I go from here?  Could the spaces in the directory names be an issue?  All I am trying accomplish is the establishment of links from doc A to doc B when it is placed in any directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I asked before if the FrameMaker files had to be in the same directory and was told no. I was told that the FrameMaker files did not have to be in the same directory to generate the PDFs, as long as the PDFs are saved in the same folder.

The PDFs need to be in the same relative directories.
If the .fm files are in, for example:
\\Server\Sources\Owner\123-456om.fm
\\Server\Sources\Sales\123-456sm.fm

That is, the sales file is located at ..\Sales\

The .pdfs can be created(Published) to anywhere, but must be served at, for example:
\\Deployed\Manuals\Owner\123-456om.pdf
\\Deployed\Manuals\Sales\123-456sm.pdf

or owner pdfs won't link to sales pdfs.

re: Could the spaces in the directory names be an issue?

Absolutely yes. Who knows what they'll be escaped as in the actual URLs. %20? Will it work?
Spaces in filenames have been a mistake forever. They only work as expected in narrow scenarios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I saved both PDF files to the same folder (path) when created from FrameMaker, but the links still do not work.

"saved" and "same" might be ambiguous here.

In FM, where you Save-as-PDF, Publish-to-PDF, or print-to-PDF is irrelevant. All that matters is the relative locations of the source .book or .fm files. This latter is what must be maintained after PDF render.

Once created, the PDFs can be moved, copied, re-saved at will, providing the relative dir relationship is maintained between referrer and target PDFs.

And if any paths or file names have spaces in them, all bets are off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the Frame files have not moved and the PDFs were stored in the same folder.  According to your comments, you said only the fm book files had to be maintained where they are currently, and they have.  So, why don't the PDF links work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: …stored in the same folder.

I'm still unclear on what you mean by 'same'.
PDF in same dir as .fm?
.fm's in same dir as each other?

This exercise might help narrow down the problem.

1. Open both .fm files.
  2. Re-save them to the directories where the PDF will eventually reside. The cross-links will be automatically updated when you do this.
  3. Save-as or Publish to PDF, optionally putting the PDFs in these same dirs, otherwise move the PDFs to each final dir.

If the PDF links now work, the problem lies with the authoring directory structure.
If the links don't, the problem lies elsewhere (such as spaces in dir or filenames).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To all that have replied, all issues have been resolved.  There is one, final issue regarding dropping files into Sharepoint and how the Marketing department creates their file/folder structure, so that I can deliver the files in a structure where it can publish to the internal network.

For now, we just test, until we have to go to Adobe to resolve with SharePoint or another repository.

Thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines