• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bulleted list using checkmarks

Participant ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, someone help me. I have tried to follow instructions in a couple of other posts for creating a bulleted list that uses checkmarks instead of bullets, and nothing has worked so far. I tried using u2713 for a "checkmark" style the paragraph designer, but the "bullet" shows up as a question mark, no matter what font use. I also tried setting up a character style that uses Wingdings but that didn't work either.

It's possible (okay, probable) that there are some simple instructions out there, and I'm just not finding them. If someone can post a link, that would be immensely helpful. I've spent about 30 minutes on this already and am getting nowhere. Thanks!

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Ding ding ding! Lynne, that did the trick! I also tried the Segoe UI Emoji font, and that gave me the checkmark I needed. So many thanks to everyone who contributed. Y'all have been a huge help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ennar,

A questionmark indicates that your font does not have this character.

When you enter this character in regular text, then you see whether it's there.

You can also check e.g. the available characters in the Windows character map or in BabelMap.

Or you can insert characters with Insert | Character | Character Palette.

Or you can create a new variable and enter \u2713 as definition. Then insert this variable.

Then you will see, whether your font supports this character.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they want this to be part of a paragraph format to create a bulleted list, I don't think using a variable will work. I could be wrong, but I don't think you can use a variable in the Format field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin,

Yes. This is just for checking, if the specific character exists in this font.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for your response. I tried using a variable but couldn't get it to work as a bullet.

I can't find a checkmark in the character palette. There is one in wingdings but it turns into a "P" if I try to insert it, probably because my current paragraph style is Arial not Wingdings. I'm not sure how to have the bullet be in one font and the rest of my text in another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what worked for me:

Open Microsofts character map, select the font you want to use, and search for check

checkmark_charactermap.png

Select and copy the check mark you want

Open Paragraph Designer and click the Numbering tab

On the Numbering tab, in the format field, paste the checkmark.

Click Update Style

This is what your Numbering tab should look like:

checkmark bullet.png

And this is the result in FrameMaker:

checkmark results.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font are you using? I've tried a couple dozen fonts with this and keep getting the question mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one happend to be Source Sans Pro.

What you need is a font that supports the Dingbats range of characters (U+2700 – U+27BF). This page lists a lot of them (but by no means all, he gave up keeping things up to date because there are a lot of fonts out there): http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/dingbats.html

You can also use this page to list all the glyphs in the fonts you have available (font by font): http://torinak.com/font/lsfont.html

Most unicode fonts support the Dingbats range, so I'm surprised you're having issues. If all else fails, there's always Arial Unicode MS which has every glyph known to man. Most of the Adobe fonts have it, as do most of the Microsoft fonts, including Calibri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the links. When I try pasting the checkmark into the Paragraph Designer, it just shows up as a bullet:

checkmark.png

In my document, that shows up as the question mark. I'll look at getting some of the fonts listed in the links. I don't have any of them on my machine. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other detail is that the checkmark in the autonumber does not need to be in the same font as the rest of the paragraph. For example, if you decide to use a checkmark in a special character font, you can define a character format that applies that font. Then specify that character format at the bottom of the Numbering tab in the Paragraph Designer.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ding ding ding! Lynne, that did the trick! I also tried the Segoe UI Emoji font, and that gave me the checkmark I needed. So many thanks to everyone who contributed. Y'all have been a huge help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those working on a Mac, the Apple Symbols font does the trick. There are a couple of checkmars near the end of the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In FrameMaker? 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines