• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I change the output default appearance of Glossary Terms?

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FM 2019 to 'Publish' to robohelp's html5 output. In the output I see the glossary terms have the exact appearance of cross-reference and hyperlinks (blue with an underline). Is there a way to customize the output appearnce of glossary terms? Why are they blue with an underline, where is that default setting and can I change it? Is it in a css file? Is the file in my FM folder or my RH folder? Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

-William

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not entirely sure how the conversion works, but in Robohelp in the stylesheet editor there are two styles you can customise. One under Character styles called 'Glossary text' and one under Hyperlink styles called 'Glossary term'.

I think you either you need to map the FM styles to the Robohelp styles, or change how they are defined in Robohelp. You may also need to edit the styles in RH to get them to show up in the mapping dialog box.

Hopefully that will at least point you in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the mapping takes place in the FM Publish panel - the Settings (.sts) file you use contains those mappings.

@Amebr - the internal guts of the FM Publish engine are RH Classic (just with not so many controls exposed) under the hood. It's a bit like doing a FM import into RH, only you never leave FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Let me just confirm, you are saying I need to open the sts file and edit the glossary properties, but i dont seem to have a program that opens that type of file; can you tell me what program is considered standard for editing sts files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. To edit the STS files in FrameMaker, click File > Publish. The Publish panel appears with a list of possible outputs.
  2. Click on the desired output (in your case, one of the HTML outputs)
  3. Click the Change Settings button next to the Settings File field
  4. Click Edit. That opens the STS file with edit capabilities for your output.
  5. On the Outputs tab, your desired output should be highlighted.
  6. Click the Change Settings button next to Current. 
  7. Click Edit. That opens the Layout customization dialog, which is where you edit your style mappings and the results you want to see in the output.

LinSims_0-1602077124541.png

I don't work with HTML, so from here you're on your own until someone else weighs in. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would edit them in the Framemaker Publish panel, as Jeff said. I think the file extension is only mentioned so you know which file to use if you need to import the same settings in to another project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC I think I read that the .sts file is like a container (like a .docx file) - if you change it to .zip you can unzip it and edit the XML inside & then zip it back up again - but that's an extreme hack & you have to know what you're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanx Jeff, I successfully unzipped the file and now see serveral xml files and many others, went through various xml and css file but can't find the one that has a glossary term appearance entry. Did a search within the unzipped folder on keywords like glossary. x-ref, cross reference, hyperlink, etc., still could not find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's move this thread over to the FM forum - nobody in RH has anything to do with .sts files, so I think you'd have a better chance for an answer over there. Give me a sec & I'll move it over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

When you edit the STS file (as Lin described), then select the Style Mapping tab.

There click on General Settings at the bottom of the list. There you can change how the glossary terms are processed.

This is also described in the online help:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2019/using/index.html#t=using-framemaker-2019%2Fuser-guide%2...

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines