• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can table format set table to fixed width?

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2010 Mar 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I need is for an inserted table to fit onto the page, regardless of how many columns you specify.  To demonstrate with a default FM doc, in the Insert Table dialog box, select Format A, change the # of cols from 5 to 15, and insert the table.  See how the table is wider than the page.  Is there a way to set the table format to automagically shrink the col widths so the table stays on the page or to a pre-specified point size?

(Note: I know I can do it after the fact with Resize Columns, but it seems like what I want to happen would be a common need.)

Thanks,
Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Mar 24, 2010 Mar 24, 2010

No way to do this in FrameMaker out of the box, unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure it would be possible with an FDK API or with Framescript, though.

Sheila

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Mar 24, 2010 Mar 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way to do this in FrameMaker out of the box, unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure it would be possible with an FDK API or with Framescript, though.

Sheila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 25, 2010 Mar 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Actually, column widths are saved with a table format and get applied automatically when you insert a new table. There is no way to explicitly set them within the Table Designer, but when you click that "Update All" button, it captures the widths. It won't allow you to resize an existing table by applying the format, but all new tables should use whatever is stored in the format. Note that other things get "silently" stored as well, such as the paragraph formats in the cells.

To test this:

- Set up a table the way you want.

- Put the cursor in it and open the table designer

- Select the table format you want

- Click Update All

- Insert a new table with that format. It should look the same

You'll also note that when you pick a format in the Insert Table dialog, there are a bunch of defaults for the numbers of rows and columns. That comes from the format as well... whatever the last table had when you clicked Update All for that format.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also wanted to know this. Thanks, Russ. This is very useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines