• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapter Numbering & TOC Creation

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a book with six front matter documents, then Chapters 1-17. Everytime I try to insert a stand-alone TOC, the chapter numbers I have set for each document revert back to their order in the book. In other words, no matter how I number my chapters, Chapter 1 always starts numbering as Chapter 7, because it's after the six front matter documents. Chapter 2 is Chapter 8, etc. I know there is a way to circumvent this, but it has been a couple of years since I used FM, and I'm a little rusty.

Also, my TOC is just 20 pages of my cover page??? Never seen this before.

Any help is appreciated.

Nick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Check Numbering Properties in both the document.fm (Format » Document » Numbering) and for that same component in the .book (right-click » Numbering).

It's way too easy for these to be in conflict.
You can set a specific chapter number.
I think my usual practice is to set at file, and set book to Read-From-File.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi Nick:

Unlike Bob, I alway set my numbering up at the book level. I'll break this into two videos because I'm limited to 30 sec each.

Keep an eye on the bottom row of the book window to see the page numbering. I have the book view set to paragraph and not filename so that I can see the chapter numbers as I work through the setup. Also note that I set up the first front matter file individually, then do the rest as a group. Same with the body of the book.

Front matter

vid1.gif

Body

vid2.gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Make sure each document.fm file has Numbering set as desired.

For each component.fm file name in the book menu
right-click»Numbering
then, for each (unless greyed out)
/Volume\ /Chapter\ /Section\ /Sub-section\ /Page\ /Paragraph\ /Footnote\ /Table Footnote\
elect
⦿ Read from File
move to next /tab\ and when all elections made
[Set]

I see that one can select all the component.fm files in the book menu, and right-click»Numbering is presented, but I have no idea if this apparent means of bulk-set act

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Numbering Properties in both the document.fm (Format » Document » Numbering) and for that same component in the .book (right-click » Numbering).

It's way too easy for these to be in conflict.
You can set a specific chapter number.
I think my usual practice is to set at file, and set book to Read-From-File.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. How do I set the book to read-from-file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure each document.fm file has Numbering set as desired.

For each component.fm file name in the book menu
right-click»Numbering
then, for each (unless greyed out)
/Volume\ /Chapter\ /Section\ /Sub-section\ /Page\ /Paragraph\ /Footnote\ /Table Footnote\
elect
⦿ Read from File
move to next /tab\ and when all elections made
[Set]

I see that one can select all the component.fm files in the book menu, and right-click»Numbering is presented, but I have no idea if this apparent means of bulk-set actually works. Barb might know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick:

Unlike Bob, I alway set my numbering up at the book level. I'll break this into two videos because I'm limited to 30 sec each.

Keep an eye on the bottom row of the book window to see the page numbering. I have the book view set to paragraph and not filename so that I can see the chapter numbers as I work through the setup. Also note that I set up the first front matter file individually, then do the rest as a group. Same with the body of the book.

Front matter

vid1.gif

Body

vid2.gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Barb. When I create the TOC, it appears as only the cover page of my book multiple times over. I've never seen that before. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines