Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapter numbers

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I created a book  last  year with 22 chapters and it works  perfectly.  This week  I tried to edit it and  I found every thing except the  Chapetr numbers are  missing.

All reference  pages are  still intact.

I  also tried to import refeence  paes  from a  working book but everything is reormatted  except chapter numbers.

Can you help?

thanks

HR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have all the source .fm files that made up the book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks   jeff

I suppose   I  have.

How  do  I find  tehm?

Below is  the refernec  page:

openObjectId <$relfilename>:<$ObjectType> <$ObjectId>
Chapter <$chapnum> : <$paratext> <$pagenum>
<$paratext> <$pagenum>
<$paratext> <$pagenum>
<$paratext> <$pagenum>
<$paratext> <$chapnum>-<$pagenum>
<$paratext> <$chapnum>-<$pagenum>

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you generating a table of contents (in which case the reference pages are pertinent), or are you talking about page numbers shown on the actual pages, in which case you are probably talking about master pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnks   Jeff

TOC is  perfect  with  page  numbers.  But  it is the chapter  itself  that  does not  show  the chapter number.Example  below   from an old file  and  the  new  file not  showing the  chapter number  even  after updating.  TOC is  ok .

TOC.jpgChap 1-OK.jpgChap1- No number.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still clarifying... are the chapter numbers missing from the first page of each chapter, the table of contents, or both?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plz  see  above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the screen shot, what appears to have happened is that your MASTER pages got changed. You need to find a document where the Chapter number block is still showing and import the PAGE LAYOUT (yes, I know it's confusing) from that file into your current file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LinSims might be correct. Your chapter number is formatted as white text. Since your current page is missing that brown block on the right side, you have white text on white paper. The chapter number is probably still there, just invisible. You need that brown block on the master page back.

It's also possible that you have a defined additional master page (not Left/Right) for the first page of each chapter, which would need to be assigned to the first page. If this is the case, it currently isn't. Check which master page is assigned to your first page of this chapter.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Joe Hus:

I recognize that template. It's from the 5.5 template pack.

fm1.png

It was designed with three master pages—the default left and right masters and a custom master called First. Start by applying First to body page 1—there was no master page mapping table in the original template—so navigate to body page 1 and choose Format > Document > Master Page Usage. Choose Custom: First and Apply to: Current Page. That should take care of it. But if if you have further issues, just come back and ask us. 

Default Right master applied (looks like yours now):

fm6.png

First master applied (looks like what you want)

fm4.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks   barb

I am  afraid  I am  not  seeing  what  you suggested  above  : choose Format > Document > Master Page Usage. Choose Custom: First and Apply to: Current Page

Plz see first image  below.   I  also  tried  what in  image  2 and  it  did  work.Doc1.jpg

Doc.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi   Barb

Do you  have an  easier  book design you can send  me  which  ha s  a similar  design to mine  so  I  do not get these errors.

best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click View > Master Pages and see if you have the 3 master pages (Left, Right, First). The message bar at the bottom left of the screen will give you the page name as you move through. Check to be sure that First has the color block on it. If it doesn't, you'll have to recreate it or, as I said earlier, import the master pages from a document that still has it.

The template packs are still available here: ftp://ftp-pac.adobe.com/pub/adobe/framemaker/win/5.x/templates

or here: http://www.frameusers.com/tools/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes  all  is ok with the brown box is in it.  In  fact I changed  the whole  text to red ( ie  chapter  number)  and it still did  not appera.

It  looks  like  this is the  only  thing that  is  misssing  because  the  first  page  of  he chapter  is working properly.

I also  imported into the  chapter a  working  chapter and  gain ony this  bit is  missing.

This is why  I want to migrate to a new easier  deisgn  that  maintains  parts of  the  old  design.

best  regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  have the  above  templates and  all suffer the same  problem.

Do you have  new  book designs  that is compatible with  Frame Maker 10+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Joe Hus:

Let's start with the original question—is First listed in the Custom Drop down menu?

fm7.png

If not, save your file and then import the just master pages from the original file that is still working. Save Use File > Import > Formats > Page Layouts. Be sure to pick the file you want to import from the Import from Document menu at the very top of the dialog box (don't leave it at Current, and uncheck everything else to only import the master pages.)

fm9.png

As for newer free templates—take a look at the first sheet of templates from File > New > Document > Explore Standard Templates.

fm8.png

Otherwise, I'd recommend developing a new template from scratch, modifying the one you have, or hiring someone to give you a hand developing a custom template for you.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi   Barb

I  did the above...first  thing  I do when facing this  proble.  I  even chhose  reference  pages and did not  work.

I  even  deleted the  brown  text image and  replaced  it  it  with a new one...still did bot work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reference pages have nothing to do with layout, so importing them isn't going to help with this issue. You need to be looking at the MASTER pages. (Terminology is actually important here, since FM uses 3 types of pages/view: Body, Master, and Reference. They do different things, so it is important to be clear about which view you are using.)

Out of curiosity, have you checked your Color Views and Color Definitions? Is the color of the block set to either Invisible (in View > Color View) or Don't Print (in View > Color Definitions > Print As)? @Bob_Niland, can you explain this? As I recall, you use Color Views extensively. 

Adobe never created new Template Packs after the ones developed for FM 5.5. However, you can open any of those files in your version of Frame and save them as that version of FM.

[Edited to add] Your template is based on Book Style 7 from the Adobe Template Pack 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Is the color of the block set to either Invisible (in View > Color View) or Don't Print (in View > Color Definitions > Print As)?

If some color-bearing object is hiding, there are a number of usual suspects, including but not limited to:

• Color Views - always have at least one View in which all colors are Normal (Invisible column empty).
  • Color Definition - the RGB or CMYK primaries might be set to white. The "Don't Print" option in "Print As" doesn't affect visibility during edit, as far as I know.
  • Condition Code applied to text or an anchor.
  • Object is behind something else, for example, the Flow A text frame has been given a soild white fill, and the high object is directly on the page or MP, sent to back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  Barb

Of course  I tried  the master  pages but  this  did not work. I only  mentioned  reference  pages  for  completeness...may  be  I should  have not  have  metioned this...

I tried  seveal times  inporting refernces  pages  but nothing is showing.

Clour  view  is not set to invisible or  do not  print.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out!! 

The old Bk7 doesn't have the correct master pages in the Bk7.fm and Bk7-A.fm files. In fact, the Bk7.fm and the Bk7-A.fm files don't have master pages in them at all!

However, the TOC file does have master pages, including the FIRST master page that has the color block. So, what you do is this:

1. Download the Adobe Template Pack 1: ftp://ftp-pac.adobe.com/pub/adobe/framemaker/win/5.x/templates/tempac1.exe
    2. Change the extension from .exe to .zip
    3. Extract the files from the .zip
    4. Open the Bk7TOC.fm file
    5. Import the Master pages from the Bk7TOC.fm file into your file (Don't import anything else!)
    6. Apply FIRST to the first page.

You might want to take a good look at the master pages first to be certain they match what you want, like dimensions and offsets. If all you're missing is the color block, you could just copy that from the Bk7TOC.fm file into your file and paste it onto your own First master page.

I need to fix this in my copy of the files and send them to the woman who manages the Frameusers site. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin:

My version of bk7.fm—downloaded yesterday afternoon from http://www.frameusers.com/tools/ does have the master pages—as I described earlier. See screenshots above. 

At any rate, @Joe Hus, I sent a message this morning offering to look at your file. Click the envelope icon in the top right corner of this window if you haven't seen it yet.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that is weird. I've opened the files in FM2020 and saved each as a FM2020 .fm file. Then I imported the page layouts from the Bk7TOC.fm file into the Bk7.fm file, but when I try to save the Bk7.fm file, Frame crashes. Every single time. I even MIF washed the files, opened and saved the MIF file to FM2020, and it did it again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved the crashing problem by doing the following:

1. Created a blank document using the FM Portrait Template.
  2. Imported the page layougs from Bk7TOC.fm
  3. Imported the Paragraph, Character, Table, Variables, and Cross-reference tags from Bk7.MIF (NOT the .fm file).
  4. Imported the contents of Bk7.fm by Copy, Body Page Flow into the new document.
  5. Closed Bk7TOC.fm and Bk7.mif.
  6. Saved the new document to Bk7.fm. 

It now works perfectly.

Step 4 is probably unnecessary for fixing the crash, but it keeps the information Adobe had provided about using the template in the file.

At any rate, @Joe Hus, if you download the tempac from Adobe, open the Bk7TOC.fm file and import it's layout into a blank FM file and save that either to a new name or overtop of the Bk7.fm file, you should be able to import the page layouts from the new file into YOUR files and apply pages without difficulty. I'm thinking the old template files are old enough that it's no longer as backwardly compatible as it used to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can  I  send the file?  I am going  round in  ciccles here.  I did  everthing and  nothing worked.

How   do  I attach files?

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines