• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapter shows up as Book-Component

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My top level is DOC. Inside that I have BODY, and inside that I have my chapters. The first one is now showing up in the structure as BOOK-COMPONENT. How do I get it back to being a chapter?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raymond,

When you add a file to a book, FM does not actually open the file to see what it contains. At that point, the file is shown in the Structure View for the book as you've noted as BOOK-COMPONENT. When you update the book, however, FM opens the book component. If its main flow is structured, FM relabels the bubble in the structure view with the tag of the highest-level element ("chapter", in your case). If the main flow is unstructured, as will be the case for a generated file such as a table of contents or index, the bubble retains the BOOK-COMPONENT label. In short, all you need to do is update the book.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynne,

I get all that and your answer makes sense. What is puzzling is how it lost its chapter definition. I’ll try the update and hope for the best. Thanks for your prompt reply and patience.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynne,

I ran the update, but it didn’t restore the chapter definition.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony,

The only way I have been able to make filenames switch back to BOOK-COMPONENT is:    

1. Add one or more new structured files to the book. Their bubbles in the Structure View are labeled BOOK-COMPONENT.
  2. Update the book. The bubbles are relabeled with the element tag of the new book components' root elements.
  3. Without saving the book, close it and reopen it or just revert it to saved. The BOOK-COMPONENT labels return.

Since the labels are stored in the book file rather than the book components themselves, this behavior makes sense. For them to be persistent, you must save the book after they are assigned.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation, Lynne. It doesn’t surprise me that something went weird.

Can you help me figure out how to get the Chapter back to being a Chapter? When I open it, there’s no structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony,

If the Structure View is empty when you open the file, then the document's main flow is unstructured. Unstructured documents also show in the book's Structure View as BOOK-COMPONENT.

If the flow has been unstructured, you may be able to use a conversion table to regenerate some structure, but you will most likely need to clean up the results.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you following this discussion, Tony has confirmed that the document is unstructured. He suspects that someone using the unstructured FrameMaker user interface opened the file and saved it (ignoring the warning that doing so might lose information). He plans to recreate recent changes in a backup of the structured file.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Lynne. I’ve succeeded in doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines