Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional text not appearing in document

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am in the process of updating a document that has text that is common to two other books.

I have followed the procedure as indicated in the Help content for adding conditions to text. I can see the text that has the condition I applied, but I also see the original text in the document that does not have the condition tags applied. 

Is this normal? What I want to do is hide all the text that contains the conditon tag I applied. 

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for any advice and help.

Elizabeth 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

You use the Show/Hide panel to determine what you want to see/hide. Anything that doesn't have conditional tagging applied will be visible to all "flavours".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You use the Show/Hide panel to determine what you want to see/hide. Anything that doesn't have conditional tagging applied will be visible to all "flavours".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth:

Just elaborating on Jeff's correct answer: text that is part of all versions is considered unconditional. It is visible at all times.

You can assign condition tags to the content that is unique to a particular product. Be sure to either assign lines in addition to the color on the condition tags and/or a background color – otherwise you're going to be hard-pressed to figure out if you tagged spaces and hard returns. 

Once the tags are assigned, as Jeff said, you can use View > Show/Hide panel to control the visibility.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thank you for all the advice. 🙂 

Something strange is going on. I have selected the text I want as conditional and applied the tag to it. I indicated a color and a double underline. When I display the Show Condition Indicator, the text I chose to apply the condition tag to, doesn't appear as if it's been tagged. Other text in the document that has conditions attached appears according to the tag/color that was chosen for it. Why is it that the text I applied the condition to doesn't appear in the format/color I indicated? What am I doing wrong? 
Maybe I should just delete the text I'm trying to modify??

Thank you.

Elizabeth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth,

Does your text have only a single condition? Or several?

Do you use the Track Changes Edit? This is just an internal condition which can interfere with yours.

And did you check in the Conditional Tags pod that your text really has the condition applied? I know that sometimes mistakes can happen.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth:

Was the condition tag actually assigned? In addition to showing the properties associated with the condition tag (color/lines/background) the tag name or names will appear in the status bar (above the Windows Start menu) in parenthesis when you click on the text. Unconditional text will simply show: Flow A ¶ Body, for example. Conditional text might show: (ProductA) Flow A ¶ Body.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For some reason the condition tags are not being assigned. The conditional text that was added by someone else shows up as expected and the Flow A has the conditon assigned.

I must be missing something!
Elizabeth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screenshot of how you're applying the condition - I suspect that's where you're getting messed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am attaching two screenshots that show my approach.

And now in the midst of all this, a graphic that is on the first page of a chapter (from the Master page) has dissappeared from the page. I have no idea how to get it back. I had saved all the files as I was creating a PDF. so the Ctrl + Z is a no go.

Thank you.

Elizabeth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the first screenshot, you've selected the text you want to have the condition applied to; then you are editing the definition of the condition - why? You just need to apply the condition to the text using the icons at the top of that screen.
As for the Master Page issue - is the graphic present on the Master Page and just not applying to the Body page? Can you copy it from another document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think I finally understand what I was doing wrong with the conditional text!

And yes, the graphic appears on the Master page. I managed to copy the file from another document and after a lot of finagling I managed to get the cover page to look the way it should.  The only issue I have now is that the cover page and the following pages have footnotes that I need to omit but have not yet found a way to do that. The page numbers starts on the TOC as i. And in the midst of all the editing and copy/pasting I have lost the title for the Table of Contents page. On the master page I copied the TOC entry and tried to paste it on the TOC body page but it's not working and the copied text sits within the entries.  Is there a better way to get the TOC to fit where it belongs?

Thank you for any help.

Elizabeth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I meant to say "The only issue I have now is that the cover page and the following pages have footers that I need to omit but have not yet found a way to do that." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth,

You have two options to hide your footers:

On the master page apply a condition to the footer and hide this condition when necessary. (I use this for draft info with the exact date and time.)

Or create new master pages and delete the footer text frame.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I have figured it out and all is good!

Thank you.

Elizabeth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023-02-16_11-50-37.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines