Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Continuing Pagination Problems

Participant ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am trying to update a chapter in a framemaker book. FrameMaker keeps inserting a odd-numbered page (page v) for no reason. I've tried to delete the page and updating the book, but Framemaker (2019, by the way) keeps re-inserting the unwanted page.

I've tried to delete the page by:

1) Right-clicking on the file, selecting "Pagination" and then in the "Before Saving and Printing" dialog, select "Delete Empty Pages.

2) Format - Docuemtnt - Delete Pages

FrameMaker keeps adding the page. Should I try deleting in the file outside of the book? I'm stumped. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Ok...weird. I just "updated book" for the umpteenth time, and now everything is working. I guess it's one of those "The FrameMaker Gods have decided to smile upon you" kind of day. Or the gremlins in the FM machinery are no longer there. Ok. I'll leave it. It's fixed now for some reason.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the doc set up to always have even or odd pages/left or right ones? That's usually the cause of reappearing pages that stubbornly refuse to go away...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. There is no content on the extra odd page, so why is it creating an extra odd page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you've got a Master Page assigned to it that tells it to never have an even number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, assigning a blank page or none doesn't fix it when I change the master page usage. When I update it to "blank" or "none," then delete the page and update the page, the page returns in "odd/even" form.

I'm not sure why it's doing this....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant "update the book" not "update the page." Sorry, my brain is crunchy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click on your book components and choose Pagination. See if the Pagination setting is correct for each component. Your 1st page setting may need to be Next Available Side to prevent any blank pages from being added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still didn't work. I tried resetting the offending section, and updating the book resets the setting to it's previous state. Ugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Atually, I didn't see the second part of your post. Let me attempt that fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No success...should I delete the book file and re-insert a new file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a doc that's behaving? Maybe you could import the Master Page from it to the one that's misbehaving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a bad idea....I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortuantely, that didn't work either for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need help with this via a web meeting, please contact me offlist. Thanks. rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I may have to. Or call Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check also Paragraph Formats for initial content (usually heading) to see if any are coded for Start: Top of X Page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry: I'm unsure how to do this. Are you referring to adjustments to headers in the Paragraph Designer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can probably diagnose your problem in about 5 minutes if you can meet. There won't be any cost for the meeting. rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure? It may take longer than five minutes. I'm now encoutering other issues. For example FrameMaker is deleting a page , and chapter page numbers are not following sequentially. What a mess! But if think you're able to diagonse within five minutes, let's do it. I don't want to waste too much of your time.

Thanks Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, if:
Book component file Flow A content always leads off with a Heading1, and
Format » Paragraphs » Paragraph Designer
Style [Heading1] » Pagination is
Start: [Top of Right Page]
is set, then it probably doesn't matter how the file or book pagination is set (if double-sided is enabled). A Left Page is going to appear prior to every H1 page, whether there's content for that LP or not.

Fix is to set Start: [Anywhere]
[Update Style]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...weird. I just "updated book" for the umpteenth time, and now everything is working. I guess it's one of those "The FrameMaker Gods have decided to smile upon you" kind of day. Or the gremlins in the FM machinery are no longer there. Ok. I'll leave it. It's fixed now for some reason.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aahrg, I have the same problem now and there a no "FrameMaker Gods have decided to smile upon you".

I have a book with 10 files, some have even, some odd number of pages: 1: even 2: even 3: odd 4: even 5: even 6:odd 7:odd 8:odd 9:even 10:even; Formatting for "Top of page" checked.

1. In the book I select all files and apply Numbering for the page #: Continue from precious file in book.
  2. After updating the book for the numbering I see that there are addional empty pages - all files have now even pages
  3. In the book I select all files and apply Pagination: Double sided, read from file, Delete Empty Pages
  4. As soon as I Set this, for all but the first file I get an error message Page Layout Warning:Error-Delete-Empty-Pages-in-book.png
    I use Remove Overrides and Continue
  5. But t he page numbering is wrong now, as it is still that after step 2 resulting in addional empty page.
  6. Second update of the book: Again empty pages were added to the files with odd number of pages.

I decide to MIF wash all files and creatae a new book

1. After setting up the book I update it and again get the Pagination error messag for all but the first file.
  2. No added empty pages, but wrong page numbering (assuming the empty pages)
  3. Update book (just the numbering)
  4. Empty pages are back ...
  5. I give up  hoping that continuing work will fill the empty pages with something...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus,

Are there any paragraphs at the beginning of your files which are set to start on a right or left page?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Winfried, in the first ¶ I wrote «Formatting for "Top of page" checked» - which means that there are no such paragraph settings which would force the first page to a right page. I have generally no such page dependency in 1-x-headings - but 0chapter-title has this setting. This format is used only in the first of the 10 files where it can not do any harm.

But yes, this feature is an often forgotten 'influencer'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines