• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting text to table " symbol changes columns

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a parts list from tab delimited text, the " (quote) symbol moves to the next column when it is the last character in a column. I noticed this when I changed to Windows 7 using Frame 7.2, the problem also occurs in Frame 11.

My process starts with a text file of a parts list; the text is imported into Access and the output save as a table in an.rtf file. I copy the table text from the .rtf file and past it (paste special, text) into FrameMaker. I select the text and convert the text to a table using a table format I created for this process. The " symbols stays in the correct column each step of the way until I paste the text into a Frame document, the " symbol moves to the other side of the tab symbol. The process has been working fine for years up until I upgraded to Windows 7.

As a test I've converted the rtf table to tab delimited text and the " symbol is on the left side of the tab symbol; when I copy and paste the text into Frame the " symbol is on the right side of the tab.

For example;

Description     Quantity

FITTING 1/2"        2

becomes:

Description     Quantity

FITTING 1/2        " 2

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why save as an RTF file from Access? You can just write to a simple text file using either tab or comma separated values in order to import into FM. I tested your scenario in FM11 and can't duplicate the behaviour for the " followed by a tab character.

Perhaps something is wonky in the Access generated rtf table?

rtf_table.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your sugesstion. I exported the table to text with tab separations, I checked the file and the " symbol is in the correct column. When I select the text and paste in into Frame the " symbol is no longer in the correct column (just as I described before). Since you can't duplicate the problem I'm guessing I have a gremlin in my system.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which application are you using to see the RTF format table and copy from? Have you tried pasting as plain text (Paste Special > Text or Unicode Text)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used Word to copy the .rtf text and used Paste Special > Text; I used Notepad to copy the .txt file text and also used Paste Special > Text in Frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines