• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying table rows in FrameMaker without copying row formatting

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this is simple, but I haven't found anything on doing this. I just want to copy rows from one FrameMaker table to another FrameMaker table, but retain the formatting (shading, ruling, row and column height and width) of the table to which the rows are being copied. When I use Copy and Paste, it copies the formatting of the table the rows are being copied from.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the table to which you copy has a table format, then you can assign this format to all rows.

Select the new cells, then select Table | Custom Ruling and Shading. In this pod set everything to "From Table" and apply.

When the table to which you copy is changed, e.g. another background color than the table format, then you would have to assign such properties manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a table with a format, but when I copy the rows over, then select the Custom Ruling and Shading and From Table for both ruling and shading, nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you select the table rows?

Are all check boxes in Custom Ruling and Shading pod selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I did get that to work after another try. Not sure what I was doing wrong the first time. I don't know why they don't have a copy option that excludes formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure what I was doing wrong the first time.

Custom Ruling and Shading is notorious for being difficult to figure out when you are trying to remove table overrides: 

1. Windows checkboxes across all applications: a check enables a feature, no check disables a feature. 
  2. Custom Ruling & Shading in FrameMaker: check what you want to disable. Specifically, enable the check on what you want to remove, then choose From Table, then Apply.

You may have had the main ruling and shading checkboxes checked, but if you forgot the any of the six pertinent individual checkboxes for under Custom Cell Ruling, it would ignore you. 

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-removing-table-overrides/

I also want to echo Rick's suggestion to look into his TableCleaner script. If you are working with a lot of tables, it pays for itself very quickly.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way FrameMaker works when you copy/paste table rows; you get the content and the formatting. You may want to look at my TableCleaner script, which gives you a quick way to remove custom ruling and shading from selected cells, selected tables, and all tables in a document or book. It is a paid script, but may be useful for you in your workflow. See my store at frameexpert dot com. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines