• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross Reference Panel - Default Setting for Source Type

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Cross-Reference panel, I have to keep changing the Source Type field from Cross-Reference markers to Paragraphs. Can this be set to Paragraphs by default?

Thank You,

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, no, but I'm willing to be corrected (btw - always start with your FM version because features change depending on version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fairly new phenomenon, Fm didn't used to do this. Since this is a user-to-user forum Mike, I recommend posting this as a bug report on tracker.

If you come back and post the link, I will gladly vote for it. It's extra clicks where we don't need them.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of FrameMaker are you using? When I use the unstructured interface in FrameMaker 2022, it defaults to Paragraphs. The structured interface defaults to Elements Listed in Order.

One hack I have used with inserting Cross-References: I will copy an existing Cross-Reference and paste it where I want the new one. Then I double-click on the new Cross-Reference and it opens the dialog box and pre-loads it with the Paragraphs section of the dialog. Then I pick the new target and click Update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's early here in Colorado.  I'll come back with a screen shot it a little bit, but it seems to me it's when I'm editing paragraph x-refs. Fm changes it to markers and I have to change it back and then find the paragraph style. 

I can tell you it's definitely a pain point but I've been sighing and plowing through and never got around to reporting it. It's been an issue for the past few years, so at least 2020 and 2022. Likely also 2019.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get a cup of coffee and take your time. My memory is that I figured this out years ago. I think I printed out the solution but it is at home in a binder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mike. Got my coffee!!

In this clip, I break the x-ref and when I go to fix it, Fm changes from Source Type: Paragraph to Cross-reference Markers. I then have to choose Paragraphs, and then dig through the Tags list to find the paragraph style again before I can locate the text. 

In a situation where I'm working on a document with lists of  x-refs instead of a mini-TOC, the extra clicks are painful. I truly believe Fm didn't used to switch types. 

~Barb

2023-10-17_07-29-20.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works that way in my copy of FM12 too Barb - it seems to start with the default set to Paragraphs, but if I'm editing xrefs, it flips to Cross-Reference Markers - I guess the idea was to be helpful? It would be grand if there was a maker.ini setting to set the default preference, but I've never heard of one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking, Jeff. The "I truly believe Fm didn't used to switch types" means I was pretty sure, but not 100% sure! Either the switch happened earlier than I remember, or I'm more senstive to the additional clicks as I get older and it has clouded my memory.

At any rate, this is where I want it to default to paragraphs, as per Mike's original post.

Now Mike, I may have taken you completely off course from what you were asking us. Is this the situation you were in that prompted the question? Or was it happening elsewhere? In my experience, FrameMaker defaults to paragraphs for a new cross reference, unless the last one you created was a marker in that session. If you exit and return, it defaults to paragraph again.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it does Barb. Thank you.
[PII info removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good! Glad I didn't pull you off track.

If you want to post this on tracker, I will gladly vote for it. Go ahead and link to this thread, since it includes the clip that demos the exact scenario. And then please post the tracker link here. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines