Exit

Default paragraph Font

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I use unstructured FrameMaker 2019.

I created a Character Style "Change Bar" (all options are "As is" plus the "Change Bar" option).

With this style, I marked places with changed content (text, graphics and tables). After publishing the revision, I used the option Format – Characters – Change Bar – Clear All Change Bar.

By removing the vertical lines in this way, I was sure I was deleting style "Change Bar" entirely, returning the content to the default state.

I recently discovered that only vertical lines have been removed. All content remained marked with style "Change Bar".

Now I have a multi - volume document with hundreds of such places.

The question is:

Is there a way (or script) to quickly remove my named Character Style by bringing the content to the "Default" state (Default Font)?

With respect,

Igor

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use my FindChangeFormatsBatch script to do that. www.frameexpert.com/store

I would suggest another way to do this in the future: instead of using a Character Format, I would consider using a Condition Format with Change Bar as the formatting style. When you want to clear the change bars, you will still have to do Format > Document > Change Bars to clear them. And you will have to delete the Condition Format, while preserving the text.

This is safer than applying a Character Format and later applying Default Para Font, because you may have applied a previous Character Format to text that you don't want to remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is perhaps a stupid question, but why are you bothering with a tag when FrameMaker has an Automatic Change Bar function built in? You have to remember to turn it on before you start editing, but it puts a vertical bar in the margin for you without your having to worry about it. (Format > Document > Change Bars opens the Change Bars Properties window, where you can turn on automatic change bars and change their position and color.)

If there's a reason you need to apply it later, selecting the text you want marked and then pressing Esc+c+h will also insert the change bar. Because this is part of FM's functions, you can use the Remove Change Bars without having to worry about left behind styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO the source of the problem is the fact, that the Apply Changbar function is similar to apply Italic or Bold ldirectly without using a character style. This process is a side-line to the ordinary formatting process. I have therefore adopted the following method for a revision cycle:

• Clear all previous change bars
  • Apply the minor revisions which should not be marked
  • Switch on automatic change bars
  • Do the 'real' revisions
  • There are situations where the automatism must be switched off and the change bars shall be applied manually - but not by using a character style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That last is where the Esc+c+h comes in. You get a change bar but no overriden paragraph tag or extraneous character tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that everyone has hisor her own way. I always use Track Text Edits. Before I publish or send something to the translation agency, I accept all changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! Thank you all for your help!

Very useful tips for me regarding «Condition Format with Change Bar as the formatting style» and keyboard shortcut «Esc+c+h»!

One more question for Rick. Is it possible to use the FindChangeFormatsBatch script (for $49) on different computers (home PC and laptop)?

Sincerely, Igor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines