• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disallowing line breaks before periods?

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in a document where I want to allow line breaks after certain characters (> / \ ). The issue I'm running into is that I now have certain cases where the line will break before a period, so that the period is now at the start of the next line.

Is there any way to allow automatic line breaks for certain characters but disallow breaks before periods?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is this option under Format > Document > Text Options. If this doesn't solve your problem, please post a screenshot that shows some examples. Thank you.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's for allowing line breaks after, and what I have already set. The problem is if I have a period after one of those marks, the period ends up at the beginning of the line, so I need to allow breaks after some marks but disallow before periods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FM has a non-breaking hyphen (␛-h), for the hyphen case.

Another thing that would work is to convert troublesome instances of 
/ - – —
to visual mimics that would not be recognized by the Text Options settings. These could be Unicode characters, such as other dash forms with Stretch applied as needed.

A couple of things that don't work include:
☒ Replacing instances of —. with a Variable that is both characters. FM's rendering engine will split them anyway.
☒ Inserting a ZWJ character (U+200D ZERO WIDTH JOINER) between the — and . FM lets you do it, but doesn't honor the semantics of the ZWJ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines