Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DITA authoring: conditional profiling attribute values

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

We are authoring in structured DITA 1.2 using FrameMaker.

I'm trying to determine if there is an easy way to provide different sets of (selectable) attributes for different product teams. We have 3 product teams, each owning a series of 5-10 products. The values for profiling attributes (platform, product and audience) is unique for each group. Therefore, it doesn't make sense for one group to see the allowable attribute values for another groups's products. I also don't want each writer to type in the value for the product, platform, or audience. I would like these to be selectable from a pre-defined list (such as the Attributes pod).

I know it's possible with other tools (such as Oxygen) to configure a subject scheme map and then add a reference to that subject scheme from the main dita map - doing so allows you to easily select attribute values from a supplied list. I know subject scheme maps are not supported in FrameMaker, but is there any other way to achieve something similar, without having to create different sets of EDDs and templates, which will become cumbersome very quickly.

Thank you in advance.

Susanna

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does everyone configure all profiling attribute values via the EDD? I'm curious as to how others are doing this. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, The only way to do this with stock FrameMaker is to modify the EDD to make the attribute values a list of choices. Alternatively, you could use an ExtendScript script to have a palette or dialog box that would list predefined values and fill them in. That way you could use the same EDD for everyone, but have a different set of predfined values for each group.

ExtendScript is Adobe's scripting language built into FrameMaker 10 and higher. If you are interested in exploring this further, please contact me off list. rick at frameexpert dot com. I am out of the office until next Tuesday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if you are willing to consider a plugin, you could try my Structure Tools:

http://www.weststreetconsulting.com/WSC_StructureTools.htm

It has a modeless attribute editor that is configurable like you want... custom lists of valid values with single click application, alphabetization, attribute prioritization, etc. And it has lots of other structure-related goodies too. I originally created the attribute editor for my own usage... the native FM editor is basically unusable in a heavy production environment, as you have discovered.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Russ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines