• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Double Sided Pagination - Next available page option missing (FM2020)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question for the gurus: How do I make FM use the next page (left or right) for documents in a book? I.e. if the previous document ended on a right-hand page, the next document needs to start on a left-hand page, if the previous document ended on a left-hand page, the next document needs to start on a right-hand page.  There is no defined way to determine which page to start the document on, because the previous document (based on the content) could end on either and could change if the content changes.

Left and right pages have different page headers, so I need to use the double sided option. I've seen screenshots of the Pagination where there is a 3rd option: Next available page, but I only have the options Right and Left available.

Suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

When you changed the pagination in the book, you have to update the book, before you see any effect.

Also the pagination set in a paragraph format can change the pagination. Especially that of the very first paragraph in the FM file. If it is set to start on a left or right page, this can demand an empty page before this paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quintin,

When the book has the focus and you right-click a file in the book and select Pagination, then you also have the option "Next Available".

However, when you have a file open and this has focus and you click Format | Page Layout | Pagination, then you only have the options Left and Right.

Is this your issue?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@winfried

Ah, thanks. Found the option. However, I notice that page numbering for the documents is still starting on a right-hand page, e.g. if the document ends on a right-hand page (odd page number) and the next document starts on a left-hand page, the page numbering for the next document doesn't start at the next (even) page number, but starts at the next odd page number, skipping a page number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you changed the pagination in the book, you have to update the book, before you see any effect.

Also the pagination set in a paragraph format can change the pagination. Especially that of the very first paragraph in the FM file. If it is set to start on a left or right page, this can demand an empty page before this paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines