Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Doxygen to FrameMaker or ?

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello FrameMaker users,

I need to get Doxygen output (API docs) into a professional-looking format.

1. Is FrameMaker the right tool for this, or is there something better to use?

2. If FrameMaker is the right tool, should I go with structured or non-structured FM?

3. What Doxygen output format is the best to begin working with? (RTF, XML, PDF?!?, ...)

4. Is there an alternative to Doxygen output? (Maybe that's a better first question since it's higher-level...)

Any recommendations, tips, pointers, etc. would be most welcome, since at the moment Word is my default option (ew). I have some preliminary ideas and guesses, but I'd appreciate advice from someone who has actual experience with Doxygen output.

--Laura

P.S.  I'm a career tech writer and quite familiar (15+ years) with unstructured FrameMaker, and love it for tech docs. I've used most of the other tools, too (25+ years).

TOPICS
Content migration , PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

I guess you could use RTF to import into FM and then tweak with tags to make it pretty. Most suggestions when I did a google of "create PDFs from Doxygen" talk about going to PDF via Latex.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019
Thanks, Jeff_Coatsworth, that's what I was seeing, too. I'm leaning toward RTF to FM; the LaTex to PDF route seems like it's a bit... Crude? Maybe that's just my impression from years-ago experience. Thanks for your time! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Hi Laura, I am not familiar with Doxygen, but if it can output XML, I would suggest looking at the XML to Structured FrameMaker route. This should be more reliable and require less clean up than going from RTF to unstructured FrameMaker. I would be glad to look at your files via a web meeting to give you some ideas. There would be no cost for this. Please contact me offlist if you are interested. Thanks. -Rick rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you authoring in Doxygen already? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the Doxygen is output from C/C++ code. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what output do you need to produce? IIRC, most API help ends up running in a docs-like-code experience being output through some static site generator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment, we just need traditional print-style PDF files. Doxygen's are terrible, as ever, and we need something that looks like a standard, professional printable reference manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you could use RTF to import into FM and then tweak with tags to make it pretty. Most suggestions when I did a google of "create PDFs from Doxygen" talk about going to PDF via Latex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff_Coatsworth, that's what I was seeing, too. I'm leaning toward RTF to FM; the LaTex to PDF route seems like it's a bit... Crude? Maybe that's just my impression from years-ago experience. Thanks for your time! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura, I am not familiar with Doxygen, but if it can output XML, I would suggest looking at the XML to Structured FrameMaker route. This should be more reliable and require less clean up than going from RTF to unstructured FrameMaker. I would be glad to look at your files via a web meeting to give you some ideas. There would be no cost for this. Please contact me offlist if you are interested. Thanks. -Rick rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Rick! I'd be happy to learn more about this option. Thank you so much, I'll be in touch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines