Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit Building Blocks Value

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am a new FM2017 user. I'm editing a document with an existing template and I need to update the value of some of the variables.

Under: Insert->Variables->'Edit' (Chapter Name)->Definition field: <$chaptertitlename>

How do I change the value of this building block? Do I overwrite it with a simple text?

Thank you,

Vicki

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you looking to change it to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Eventually I was able to change the chapter name via

View->Master pages

Where I've typed in the new name.

Initially I was trying to type in the new title via:

Insert->variables->edit

I found <$chaptertitlename> typed in in the definition field. I didn't want to overwrite it, but I wasn't sure how to assign the new title name to this building block. I still wonder if there's a way to access all the sys variables from a single location...

Thanks,

Vicki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

system ones will just pick up their values automatically - there's no need to set them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still wonder if there's a way to access all the sys variables from a single location...

You can see all the variables (system and user) and their definitions in the Variables pod when you are on a master page. Use the Pencil button to edit the values. Fm hides certain system variables on body pages.

Same document in both screen shots.

Variables pod on a body page:

VMware Fusionss_001.png

Variables pod on a master page:

VMware Fusionss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

I guess what I was hoping to achieve through the variables window was to assign a new value to building blocks.

For example:

Variable A = Building Block <Chapter Name>

Building Block < Chapter Name> = 'I love biscuits'

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize, but I do not understand the question.

Are you trying to define a (user) variable with the value "I love biscuits" that you can add anywhere in the document and easily update globally, or is the chapter name "I love biscuits" and you want to use a (system) variable to locate it for you to put somewhere else, I.e., in a running head?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Yes, I was looking for a way to update the variable globally.

Thanks,

Vicki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Vicki:

To edit a variable, select it in the Variables pod and then click on the Pencil button (2nd button on the Variables pod toolbar). This opens the Add/Edit Variables pod. You can edit the current definition and then click on Edit.

~Barb

VMware Fusionss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines