Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Efficiently applying paragraph styles to multiple paragraphs

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb. Thx - that helps. 

I've signed-up for your next class in March. There really seems to be a lot I don't know. 🙂 

I have a new question on the same project, this time with one of the annexes (i.e., Annex F - TGI API calls). I need to import over a thousand functional calls with associated title, description, return and input information of the following form:

F.7.6.2 addAbstractionDefinitionPort
Description: Add abstractionDefPort with the given logicalName and type to the given abstractionDef element
-- Returns: abstractionDefPortID of type String - Handle to a new abstractionDefPort element
-- Input: abstractionDefID of type String - handle to an abstractionDef element
-- Input: logicalName of type String - Logical port name
-- Input: type of type String - Logical port style (wire or transactional)

Each line in the above call has a differnet pre-determined style name in Framemaker:

First line (F.7.6.2) - TGI Title

Second line (Description) - TGI Description

Third line (Returns) - TGI Returns

Four line (Input) - TGI Input

Here's my problem: I need to update this Annex F in the standard. The updated calls (over one thousand each) are available to me as a Word or Excel document. Is there a way to import all of these calls so that each line of each call has the proper style in FM? Someone suggest maybe using a DITA import/translation. Or perhaps I could use the "Find/Replace" function in FM to change the styles for each of the above line categories, e.g., First line - TGI Title, Second line - TGI Description, etc. I just don't know how to automate this task.

To repeat: The problem is to import or copy/paste over a thousand calls - each with four different lines and FM style categories - into FM without me having to manual change each and every line in FM. 

Appreciate any suggestions. Cheers -- John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Hi John: 

I just processed your registration—thank you—but didn't realize it was you. 😊

On the forums, it is best to ask each unrelated question as its one post, to make it easier for others with the same question to quickly track down the answer. I moved this new question to a new post for you. 

Two ideas to quickly apply the paragraph styles:

1. If you, or somebody else in your office, knows Word well, one can assign the styles in Word in advance. Then you can map the styles from word to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John: 

I just processed your registration—thank you—but didn't realize it was you. 😊

On the forums, it is best to ask each unrelated question as its one post, to make it easier for others with the same question to quickly track down the answer. I moved this new question to a new post for you. 

Two ideas to quickly apply the paragraph styles:

1. If you, or somebody else in your office, knows Word well, one can assign the styles in Word in advance. Then you can map the styles from word to FrameMaker. See https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-smoother-import-word-files-style-mapping/ or
  2. Use an Advanced Find/Change sequence. For each of the four paragraph styles:
    1. Copy the desired paragraph styles to the clipboard (i.e., TGI Description) using Edit > Copy Special
    2. Find a one word unique to the paragraph (i.e., Description: )
    3. Change By Pasting

The last three are fairly straight-forward beceause they each begin with a specific word followed by colon and a space. The first one will likely require a regular expression. I am happy to cover this in more detail in class. Looking forward to meeting you. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barb. No worries. I'm very much looking forward to your course. 

I like the Word approach with styles as it seems the easiest and most direct. I'm going to experiment with it for now.

Thx and Cheers -- John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines