• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enable Automatic Change Bars (Was "AVIATION MANUAL")

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I began using framemaker because I couldn't add automatic revision lines with indesign, but now I'm a little puzzled as to how to manage all of the content.

My project is quite large and has had many revisions, but where to start to set it up so it changes automatically when adding new information.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS.

Julieta.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always thought that the aviation industry used Structured FM with some S1000D standard thingie? Are you trying to manage all that with Unstructured FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julieta:

To activate automatic change bars (that appear as you edit):

Format > Document > Change Bars and enable Automatic Change Bars.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m thinking I would have to use structured FM in order to keep updating as different documents become available.

The manual was given to me to translate, but I’m expecting more work and I wanted to set it up in FM for easier access in the future.. *sigh* not sure where to start!!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julieta:

*sigh* not sure where to start!!

A training class is a great place to start. We have unstructured training if you decide to start there (and mostly aviation-industry students). I'm also an InDesign trainer so I understand the transition, and can help you through it. Our classes are online so you can attend from your home or office.

Adobe FrameMaker Training Classes in Denver, Colorado and Online

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a great free course to get you familiar with unstructured FrameMaker.

Free FrameMaker Training

After that you can figure out if a book, a class, a course in structured or unstructured Frame makes sense for you.

FrameMaker training (both structured and unstructured options)

FrameMaker reference books, structured authoring workbook, structured EDD Dev workbook

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll be best off working in whatever format they've given you...conversion to another style of writing (like S1000D or ATA iSpec aviation formats) will be prohibitive if not converted by your client for you.

I've worked with aviation clients for (many) years, and I'm happy to discuss options and strategies with you.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only worked with one, the government agency DGLV here in Belgium. Never trusted automatic change-marking… but marked changes by hand (conditional text) once I'd thought about them and used the markers to generate a What's new in this release page. This kept them happy for the thirty or so releases I was involved with :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, esp. around tables and graphics (things with anchors) you may want to manually mark change bars.

A character tag to apply change bars will also come in handy in some cases.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to the original question, Julieta. Were you able to activate the change bars?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines