• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eps graph shows white background

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello i have an .eps graph that has transparent background at ai (show grid transparent)
but when i look and print it at frame, has a white background around it,
can someone help?aaa.png

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Yes, I know that the left shape is not the one shown in your first pic. I just created it, because FrameMaker noticed a missing reference. When creating this left "dummy" image, I saw that the EPS itself was working as expected with a transparent background. However, this did not immediately work on the right side as well. I re-saved the "Right.eps", tried it again, and it still did not work. However, once I've noticed that there are two copies of the "Right.eps" on top of each other, I deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker is not able to display transparencies (or transparent backgrounds) within the application, imported eps graphics will always look like this. However, it should be correctly displayed when printing or saving as PDF. If this does not work, select the graphic in question (here: the arrow), and - using the the graphics toolbar - set the background (fill color) to "None". Now it should be correct in printouts and PDF.

Bernd

GraphicsToolbar.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

already tried it,

what is odd is that when i save for example as .png
even if i can see transparent background when saving,
if i reopen it in ai it still has the white background color,,,
pffffffffff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing to check: in the EPS export options (when saving in Illustrator), is the background set to "transparent"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i checked that also,

resaved again,,
no result...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could upload a ZIP of the EPS and the FrameMaker file (or an extract of it just containing the table shown above) and post the link here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it wont leave me to upload a .zip file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a file upload service (like dropbox or similar) and post the link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a combination of quirks. First, I've re-saved the EPS after mirroring to create the missing "Left.eps", and this file came out correctly with transparent background. Then I made a new "Right.eps" out of this file, which initially didn't work again. Then I tried to delete the eps and import it again, which made me notice this:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-29 um 14.36.21.png

After fixing this problem, re-importing and re-selecting the "Fill = None" option the file came out as expected. Test file fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am not quite sure i understand,

left.eps is incorrect, purple shape appears at clients graph also,

only right.eps is different,
but i am not sure if i understood what you did,,,
just erase the whole thing? and reinsert?
or there is something to learn from that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know that the left shape is not the one shown in your first pic. I just created it, because FrameMaker noticed a missing reference. When creating this left "dummy" image, I saw that the EPS itself was working as expected with a transparent background. However, this did not immediately work on the right side as well. I re-saved the "Right.eps", tried it again, and it still did not work. However, once I've noticed that there are two copies of the "Right.eps" on top of each other, I deleted one, checked/applied the correct fill, and now it worked.

What might be learned from it? If it doesn't work as expected, deleting and re-importing images might still help to solve the issue. I wouldn't have discovered the doubled EPS otherwise…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, i think, this is "dummy",
i tried a lot of things,

for sure i will follow your tutorial,
i am not familiar with paths or masks, but maybe this is a good start,

thanks you for your time and help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also made this tutorial years ago (for FM9, but still works this way) for files saved from Photoshop:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't able to use the link. Can you post the full URL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this interface regularly f###s up my links, had to repair other links as well.

This is the full tutorial link as mentioned above: http://www.meissner-dokuteam.de/Files/Frame/Transparency2_p250.pdf

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Adobe Illustrator? If so, import the native AI into FrameMaker instead of export formats.

If you're using Photoshop, use PSD, not export formats.

Here's a video to explain

http://www.techcommtools.com/illustrator-framemaker/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mattrsullivan  schrieb

Are you using Adobe Illustrator? If so, import the native AI into FrameMaker instead of export formats.

If you're using Photoshop, use PSD, not export formats.

Matt,

I've tried your suggestion to use native formats (see attached screenshot), and noticed two things:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-31 um 18.26.31.png

• PSD doesn't work with a transparent background. Still only EPS with clipping path is able to give such a result (as described in my old FM9 tutorial).
  • Illustrator works fine (just like PDF), but it's necessary to adjust the document size to the size of the content. This was easier with EPS, as FrameMaker reads the bounding box and clips the image accordingly.

At least with Illustrator files this is a fine solution, but the missing option of having transparent backgrounds with PSD files might be a show stopper.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Bernd, for objects with transparency you may need to use EPS and clipping paths. However, even if the transparency were recognized, there would still be aliasing on the edges, and likely a halo around the image, as there'd be no matte color applied to the edges. So Photoshop EPS would allow for the vector edge around the perimiter.

Every case is different, but in this case, though, the images would be most easily created and edited as vectors in AI, not as bitmaps (or even vectors) in PS. 

But just to throw in another scenario, I'd use a free FontAwesome or similar icon to type a professionally designed character, rather than managing as a graphic in the first place! 

Here's a screen grab of the warnings, notes, and cautions that I use in my book, FrameMaker - Working with Content.

Screenshot 2017-09-06 10.50.15

In case anyone's interested, these are paragraph tags that use a character format to apply the FontAwesome icon to the autonumber. They print perfectly, and are easy to apply. The arrows in the original example are even easier: Create a character tag that uses the FontAwesome font, and apply as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines