• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ Suggestions and Corrections

Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2000 Dec 04, 2000

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is available so you can recommend suggestions and corrections to the FAQ.

Please add only FrameMaker FAQ related entries here.

Please post software-related questions to the regular FrameMaker and FrameMaker+SGML forums and topics. Do not post them here. This topic only concerns suggestions and questions for the FAQ.

Thanks!

Sean
TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2001 May 29, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't read the details on the screen capture FAQ, but
you should consider what Dov Isaacs recently has posted
on the FrameUsers mailing list. His advice in many ways
contradict what people usually think and do with screen
captures. For instance, image resizing should never be
done in the screen capture program, and EPS is the "best"
format (according to Dov).

/Thomas Michanek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 29, 2001 May 29, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Thomas:

I have corresponded with Dov about that . . . and the jury is still out. I disagree, slightly, with Dov.

Dov's workflow certainly seems very appropriate if your deliverable requires accurate color, CMYK output, and output via a service bureau or using a PostScript, offset press process.

I'm not so sure that Dov's methods are necessary for the rest of us, those for whom color accuracy, offset press, etc., is not important. Certainly, you can use a screen capture program to resample an image's resolution and, thereby, change its size, or use screen capture software in Windows, in place of Alt+Print Screen to streamline any workflow that includes captures.

Thanks for the good thoughts and I posted Dov's comments and suggestions as they appeared in these forums.

Cheers,

Sean

sean@quodata.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2001 Jun 12, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Frame 5.5 and having a difficult time finding the best/easiest way to use graphics generated in AutoCad 2000i to paste into my document. The autocad group has been saving as .dwg files and then .doc files. When I try to paste these into my Frame document, what usually would paste in as an anchored frame, pastes in with an invisible frame. If there is another graphic on the page (generated in Autocad 13) the new graphic somehow seems to hide or cover part of it. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I was thinking that Frame 5.5 doesn't like Autocad 2000i but don't know what step is next. I read the suggested graphic conversion pkgs in the Framemaker FAQ messages but not sure what would be most appropriate. What graphic file format does Framemaker like best?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2001 Jun 12, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, this thread is for suggestions for the FAQ. Do you have a suggestion for the FAQ list?

Consider reading the text in red at the top of this thread and then taking your question out of the 'FAQ Suggestions and Corrections' thread and Adding a new topic in the FrameMaker forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2001 Jun 25, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

syllabificaton,spell-checking, language support for FramMaker+SGML

Hi everybody,

we would like to publish on paper documents in many different languages, west & east european languages (in total about 30 languages), and do it nicely (block alignment).

Is it possible to get a correct syllabification for any given language ? How can exceptional words be handled, e.g. by a special dictionary ?

Can somebody help ? Thanks, Johannes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 25, 2001 Jun 25, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ciao Johannes.

Go here and repost: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b316.

Thanks,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2001 Jul 19, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there..
Any help on the topic mentioned below will be appreciated by two novices in Framemaker....

We r preparing a usermanual for an airline product. We have mostly inserted tables and pictures from MS Powerpoint (do forgive, because we r new to Adobe products..still learning).
But now one obvious difficulty is that when we bring some text down by hitting the ENTER key, the pics/graphic objects do not move. Any suggestions?

Also we'd like to insert one full page between two pages. How do we do this? We weren't able to find any options which'd enable us to insert one whole page ....

Thanx in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 19, 2001 Jul 19, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Biju:

I'm not sure this question belongs in the FAQ . . . try reposting your question here: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b312.

You might also want to pick up a copy of FrameMaker Classroom in a Book and run through the exercises. It will help you get up and running quite quickly.

Cheers,

Sean

sean@quodata.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2001 Aug 17, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean, I got a suggestion for the FAQ...

It might be nice to address some of the more common issues regarding upgrading from 5.x.x to 6.0. I am sure there are issues, and a little 'heads-up' here might help.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2001 Aug 17, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion, Brian. I came to the FAQ for help with the $chapnum variable and alas! I found none. The Neuberger book distracted me from cursing the online Frame help. It also answered my questions. Another 5-to-6 kink that shows up frequently in the forum is the "I used to be able to open a file in a Frame book by double-clicking...now all I can do is rename..." Not a big problem, but it is something that bugs many people. Perhaps the FAQ could reassure them.

Jeanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2001 Aug 30, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean,

I am trying to post a message to Problems creating PDF's from Framemaker, but I guess the thread is now stopped.

Basically, I have recently encountered these problems:
1. While generating PDF's from Frame Maker using Save As, only half the chapters of a 10-chapter book appear OK. The rest are broken up, text is missing.Oddly enough, the cloured pictures are OK.

2. Secondly, before I can generate PDFs I have to reset my default printer to Adobe Distiller, then open each chapter independenly as FrameMaker keeps telling me it can not generate PDFs as fonts changed. I find this quite laborious opening each file and then saving it again to generate PDFS.

Any suggestions? Sorry if this is not the intended thread.
Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2001 Sep 06, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just have to be a little quicker on the clicking finger to open a file from a Frame book. And yes, the first time it wanted me to just rename a file I was a little annoyed, too.

Here's my question about converting from 5.5 to 6.0.

Our Books consist of a TOC file, a Preface file, and then whatever number of chapters it takes. In the generated TOC, the page numbers for the chapters show up as 1-3, 2-3, 3-3, etc. That works just fine.

The problem is the Preface. The Preface follows from the TOC, the page numbering for each is in Roman numerals. The problem I'm having with 6.0 is that I can't seem to get rid of the - for the Preface in the generated TOC. The listings for the Preface show up as -iii, -iv, -v, instead of just iii, iv, v.

In 5.5 you defined the dash by typing \= into the dialog. I've tried all sorts of things in the 6.0 Numbering dialog, but to no avail.

How do I get rid of the - in my Preface TOC page numbers?

Lynn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2001 Sep 07, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe and Lynn,

You have both managed to post questions here concerning the use of FrameMaker. This is the FAQ forum for FM.

Read the text in red within the yellow box at the top of this page...

/Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2001 Sep 07, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Thomas, you're right. I forgot where I was.

I've posted my question in the forum topic "Help! Ugraded from 5.5 to 6.01, TOC problem" (yes the p is missing from upgraded). I've since found a solution and have added this information to my post.

Lynn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2001 Nov 05, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've taken on the mission in my writing group to find out if FrameMaker can effectively produce a four-color, Z-fold (or 11"x17"), layout-intensive installation guide. I know that there are other tools much more suited to this kind of document,
such as PageMaker, In Design, etc., but we are currently in the process of streamlining our whole operation including using single-sourcing tools to help us manage multiple projects that may have a lot of similarities. So it would be very cool to be
able to use just one application for all our print deliverables.
Has anyone tested the limits of FrameMaker in this way? Any success stories? Is it more pain than it's worth? I would love to hear about other people's experiences in this area. Thanks,

Gabe
gaad19@hotmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2001 Nov 06, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have posted in the wrong place. Please post in the regular FrameMaker forum as a new topic.

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2002 Jan 02, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new question for the PDF FAQ

Q: How do I create an anchor/cross-ref in Frame that shows as a named destination in Acrobat?

I know that I can open the PDF file in Acrobat and manually add the destinations, but this can be time consuming. I need specific names used so that our application can call the correct named destination when the PDF file is launched. I searched this forum and the Adobe site before posting this question.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2002 Jan 29, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dunno Len. If you can, post to the regular forum, see what the answer is, and post it back here for consideration. Honestly, I don't remember this topic coming up all that often to warrant a FAQ, but if you present the answer and a decent argument, I'll certainly consider adding it.

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2002 Feb 27, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to post here, Sean, but I know the answer to Lens
question, but I cannot see his email address, he doesn't post
in the regular forum, and this subforum is not available as a
News group (in which case I could see his email).

The answer is quite long, so I'm not keen on posting it here...

--
/Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert

mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com

http://go.to/framers/ (updated on Oct. 11)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 28, 2002 Feb 28, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem Thomas, do you think this topic needs a FAQ entry?

If so, post it here and I'll move it. If not, why not post your answer in the main forum and post a link to that answer here?

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2002 Apr 10, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create my .dre file (convertBox.dre) and I put it in the fminit file with my DLL which contain the following codes:

VoidT ConvertDialogBox(){ F_ObjHandleT itemId; StringT name = "convertBox";

dlgId = F_ApiOpenResource(FO_DialogResource, (StringT)name);
if (dlgId){ ..... }
else {F_ApiAlert("Can't open the Convert Dialog box, FF_ALERT_CONTINUE_NOTE);}

}

and it doesn't work , the F_ApiOpenResource function always return 0.I try to put my .dre file in the father directory of fminit with no results, is there a specific place to put this .dre file ? or do I forget to do something ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2002 Jun 03, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The choices of percent screens (Shading) for table cells does not include 20%, which is one of those I need. How can I set a 20% screen?

--Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2002 Jul 11, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean,
In the FAQ about Acrobat 5 you say:

> 1) The Distiller printer.
> When printing to PDF, this needs to be your default printer or
> the printer you choose. This printer creates a
> device-independent PostScript file.

> The Distiller printer creates device-independent PostScript,
> whereas the PostScript printer driver that came with your HP,
> Canon, or other real printer is device-dependent; that is,
> it has built-in limitations that pertain to the device in question.

This is actually not correct. The Distiller printer also creates
device-dependent PS, where the "device" is Acrobat Distiller.
That's the whole point of the Distiller printer. Device-dependency
doesn't necessarily mean "limitations", it simply means that the
code is intended and created for a particular device in mind.

The Distiller printer creates PS that is very much intended only for
Acrobat Distiller, so it's by definition device-dependent. Trying to
send such a PS file to any other device may very well give the
same type of problems that sending, for instance, na "HP" PS file
to the Acrobat Distiller.

If you don't believe me, ask Dov... :-)

/Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://go.to/framers/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 11, 2002 Jul 11, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you. ;?P

Thanks for the correction.

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2002 Jul 14, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean,

Adding portions of your discussion on WWP PRO and RoboHelp 2002 to the FM FAQ would be very helpful to many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines