• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Figure Numbering not Continuing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book to which I added a second appendix. So the book now has Appendix A and Appendix B (new). Apppendix A has no figure captions, and Appendix B has several. When I first added it, the figure numbering took effect to continue from Chapter 13, the last book chapter which ended with Figure 75.  Appendix B started with Figure 76,  However, it has somehow revereted to Figure 1 and I am not sure how it happened. I have the Numbering/Paragraph set to "Contine Numbering from Previous Paragraph in Book," and the Format building block for the figure caption is the same between Chapter 13 and Appendix B. I had the book in a different location and moved it to the desktop so FrameMaker would work well. It was ok at one point and then now I cannot get it back to the continued number.  
I also regenerated the TOC and LOF after making the changes. Since the change did not take in the chapter I did not expect it to appear in the LOF on update and that is what happened. 

Is this a bug? Or is there a step I am missing in getting this to work?   I tried the support at Adobe but they seem not to be able to resolve it. I figured the abundance of knowledge here would have the wisdom! Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Numbering is set in two places in Frame, the Book level and the Document level, and sometimes these can conflict.

If I were you, I'd go into BOTH Appendix A and Appendix B and use Format > Document > Numbering and ensure that the Paragraph numbering for both is set to continue.

I would then open the book file, select the two files in the book, right-click, and select Numbering from the pop-up menu and ensure, again, that the Paragraph numbering for both is set to continue.

If that doesn't

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Hi Anne:

If the earlier replies didn't solve this for you, please share a screenshot of the Numbering properties for:

• Figure style in Chapter 13
  • Figure style in Appendix B
  • Appendix title style (or appendix number style) in Appendix B

This isn't likely to be a bug, Something is telling FrameMaker to restart the figure numbering.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Numbering is set in two places in Frame, the Book level and the Document level, and sometimes these can conflict.

If I were you, I'd go into BOTH Appendix A and Appendix B and use Format > Document > Numbering and ensure that the Paragraph numbering for both is set to continue.

I would then open the book file, select the two files in the book, right-click, and select Numbering from the pop-up menu and ensure, again, that the Paragraph numbering for both is set to continue.

If that doesn't work, I would check the autonumbering properties for any series used to number the figures; it's possible you've missed a placeholder or that item in the series has reset the figure numbers to 1 again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This did it! Problem fixed!! Thank you so much for this tip. I had not thought of the possibility of both levels and both Appendices. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the counter being reset at the file.fm level or in the .book settings, it can also be reset by the paragraph format used. Commonly, there is a Figure.1 or similarly named format that has an Autonumber format of:
F:<n=1>.\t
and subordinate Figure.n formats with AN of:
F:<n+>.\t

Slip-ups in the Series Label (the "F:" in these examples), if used, can also cause wonky numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anne:

If the earlier replies didn't solve this for you, please share a screenshot of the Numbering properties for:

• Figure style in Chapter 13
  • Figure style in Appendix B
  • Appendix title style (or appendix number style) in Appendix B

This isn't likely to be a bug, Something is telling FrameMaker to restart the figure numbering.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Barbara. It turned out  that the renumbering at both the Appendices and Book levels needed to be fixed. I never would have thought of that.  I went with the bug theory because everything I tried per Help instruction and Adobe tech support did not work.  So glad I put my query out here!

Thanks
Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what we're here for, Anne! Glad we could help.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Wish I had some more experience to be of use to the community!

I have a new mindbender.  I am trying to regenerate a new TOC because I added a section to a manual. The TOC was fine before and now when I generate it, all chapters read as "1" after the chapter title vs what they are in the actual chapter.  In other words, the title chapter titles read correctly but they are all followed by "1" vs the correct chapter number.

What setting takes care of this for generating the TOC? There is always some switch that I just don't know about when I use this product.

Thanks
Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anne,

I assume that your new file does not have the correct Numbering Properties. This is controlled by the book file.

Right click the new file (not the TOC) in your book file and select Numbering Properties.

There set everything to Continue (depending on your needs).

Then update your book. Now the number in the TOC should be correct.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winifred,

Thanks for your response.
That must be what the Condition error message was referring to.

When I right-click the Book file, the Numbering option is disabled. What would cause this?

Thanks
Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not right-click the book file, but the new file in the book.

Or did you add the new file in a new group or folder or in a new book in book?

Or is this not a new file, but only a section in a file?

Generally it's better to start a new thread and not continue an existing thread. Otherwise this will get confusing for readers ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good points! I figured that because it was part of numbering it might be fine to ask here but I see what you are saying.

Really just a new section within a chapter. Should not have caused this sort of issue in numbering. I feel like everytime I come back to a book after some time some other new behavior crops up.

I am working with two very different projects and products simultaneously (Frame and Flare) and trying to keep things straight!

Thanks
Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a screenshot. I tried renumbering but did not take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines