Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 10 drops half of index markers from actual index

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

When I generate an index, about half of the markers do not appear in the index.  I have tried every trick I can, but nothing changes.  I have used FM for years and this has never happened before.  It would seem either the book file must be corrupt or the software is.  Someone suggested that the problem was having used another kind of marker just before putting in index markers might have confused the software.  But I have tried over and over without using any other marker types, so that is not the problem.

Any ideas???    The book is finished and publisher is waiting.  Just needs an index.

Blessings, Earle

embus@theroadtoemmaus.org

562-242-4926

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume you have examined some of the orphan markers and verified that they are of type Index.

How are you "generating" the IX file? What steps?

Worst case, save the existing IX file under a different name. Delete the original from the Book. Have the book create a new one. Import formats including Reference Pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I just discovered the real problem.  Many times when I put the cursor in the text of the document, the marker type in the marker box switches from "index" to "hypertext"...!  So each marker I insert I have to check to see that it is set at "index".  it will not stay there much of the time.  That is a whole new problem. How can I stop that from happening? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Many times when I put the cursor in the text of the document, the marker type in the marker box switches from "index" to "hypertext"...!

That was the issue I was getting at in the previous thread. The Marker dialog defaults the Marker type to whatever type you last created, or whatever marker you last had selected with the dialog open.

re: So each marker I insert I have to check to see that it is set at "index".

Yep. And you usually only notice that it's changed after you've already created a bunch of new ones with an incorrect type. You can search on Markers to find the errors, or by marker type if you known what type they are instead.

This behavior is not really different from most FM dialogs. It might be nice to have some sort of sticky button for creating new content, but if we haven't gotten it by lucky release 13 (which is what FM2015 is), we probably aren't going to get any luckier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just be real careful or go through and add one type of marker at a time (i.e. all the index ones, all the cross-ref ones, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines