• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 2020: Generating PDF in Single Tone for Paper Printing

New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone to give more information or to tell useful tips for generating PDF in single tone for paper printing?

Product: FM 2020

TOPICS
PDF output , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think people are going to need a bit more info - you're working in Structured FM, correct? Are you all patched up? Are you creating PDFs currently? Maybe you can explain what a "single tone" PDF is - I've never heard that term before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

«Maybe you can explain what a "single tone" PDF is - I've never heard that term before.»

It my be graycsale ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be half-toned grayscale, but then, I've never heard the phrase either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think you are right. I mean half-toned grayscale is an accurate word, and "single tone" is broken English used in only Korea (I guess).

Is there anyone to tell me any detailed configuration or set up for half-toned grayscale paper printing in FM 2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the result desired is B&W halftone, I don't think that FM offers that post-processing of output images. Further questions might include whether patterned or dithered haltone is desired.

Even if FM had the feature I'd probably not rely on it. When I had the requirement years ago, I would use Photoshop to flatten to dithered, optimized for the exact dpi & dot gain of the in-house printing process, save as an EPS copy. Usually some adjustment of the grayscale was required pre-flattening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would assume that it is easiest to adapt the PDF and not try to achieve this in FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are right. My engineers and I are using FM 2020, and handling DITA XML as well as EPS graphic resources, trying to produce half-tone grayscale PDF.

Now I am doing my own research on managing PDF. Can you give more information or tips for adapting a PDF in order to generate half-tone grayscale PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Acrobat Professional has a preflight tool with which you can change your PDF.

Other tools that I heard of are:

Callas pdftoolbox

PitStop professional

In the German Wikipedia article about preflight there is a list of tools. Not in the English version.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When printing to PDF you have this option:

StudioSm_0-1652876789808.png

Will that do for you?

Bjørn Smalbro - FrameMaker.dk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines