• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM9, ATA iSPEC 2200, & EDD setup

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2009 Oct 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have advice on setting up the EDD created from the CMM DTD provided in the ATA iSPEC 2200 Standard? I'm having a difficult time trying to modify the EDD to format the front matter and pageblock pages the way the spec says it should, specifically involving the Title element option of the Topic and Subtask elements.

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 09, 2009 Oct 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need to use iSpec2200 DTD in FrameMaker.  I have heard from friends that setting up a TOC and the rest of the front matter can be a very frustrating experience.  I'm not experienced in setting up a DTD with a style sheet, let alone an EDD, so I opted to use a company called Mekon who produces a product called Eclipse.  The product will produce iSpec2200 compliant documents in FrameMaker.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx gtgeric. Unfortunately, it was like pulling teeth just to get my company to buy FrameMaker and iSPEC 2200. I've discovered at least how to present the format correctly using the EDD by modifying each element's def and entering every hierarchical combination the EDD allows the element to exist in. Lots of Text format rule additions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cali,

It seems like we are in a very unique crowd, at least for the moment.  I'm not a developer, just a person with a lot of practical hands on aircraft experience turned into a technical writer for aircraft maintenance.  I was recently hired by a company who manufactures aircraft components and support equipment to author technical publications.  One of my first tasks was to pick a structured authoring tool to write maintenance manuals per ATA iSpec2200.  Before I took the job I explained I had no experience writing DTDs and Style Sheets, and furthermore no experience with FrameMakers version of a DTD, an EDD.  They agreed to allow me to seek out a developed DTD compliant with iSpec2200.  Initially I recommended Arbortext Epic Editor, but changed my recommendation to FrameMaker 9 with Mekon's iSpec2200 DTD for CMMs and SBs called Eclipse.  I actually got approval for the whole Communications Suite 2 (includes Frame 9, Photo Shop, Robohelp and more).

Anyway, don't want to bore you, but I'd really like to stay in touch.  I should be getting a lic key today or tomorrow (just waiting for IT to finish their thing).  You can email me directly at egafford@avionica.com if you wish.

Regards,

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Wes,

I've had a lot of experience with ATA iSpec 2200. There are many pitfalls with implementing this specification within any Editing/Publishing application. It's not just FrameMaker. The problems are due to the architecture of the ATA DTDs and the monolithic structure that is imposed on your documents. The complete opposite of the more modern modular approach. Having said that, FrameMaker does work well for CMMs and SBs. Not so good with a complete AMM where further help from a content management system is essential.

I would be pleased to help with any related questions as I been there and solved them already when I developed the CMM and SB applications for Dunlop Aerospace back in 1997. Those applications are now known as Mekon Eclipse...

Regards,

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines