• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnote numbers and periods

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I line up the periods for the footnote numbers so the footnote text is lined up when the note goes from one to two to three numbers?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the footnote text is getting shoved, it sounds like you just need to adjust the Alignment:Left and first Tab Stop for Paragraph Format Footnote.

If you are trying to get vertical radix alignment for the period, I'm not aware of any trivially obvious solution. I can think of a hack, built on the suggested method of doing Endnotes, but in tables within column-bottom anchored frames, but if you are already into to 3-digit footnotes, managing large number of AFs, each with different height, might be far to much trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try your suggestions.

Thank you.

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To line up the periods, you will need to add a tab in front of the footnote numbers. You can add that tab in Footnote options as a prefix, and then set the tab stops in the Paragraph Designer. This post addresses this topic for numbered lists, but once you know how to add the leading tab to footnote numbers, it works the same way.

Adobe FrameMaker: Aligning Punctuation in Numbered Lists - Rocky Mountain Training

VMware Fusionss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixes the separator character, Barb, but if ¶Footnote is set to left-justified, would not the footnote number still be LJ as well, leaving a gap to the period ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did I misunderstand the question, Bob? I'm thinking littlemiami wants the periods lined up as well as the text following the period.

VMware Fusionss_004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I thought if I could get the periods to line up (so that 9 and then 10 would have equal periods) then the following would line up evenly. I'm using a font that is new for me and the letters/numbers are strange sizes. The Garamond that I have used previously is coming back from the printer too light in the book. After almost 20 years, I feel I need a class.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that different from what I am showing above? Does the term "equal periods" mean that the periods line up directly under each other or something else entirely different?

If my answer doesn't work, and if Bob's original answer doesn't address this for you either, please show a screen shot of what you are hoping for, or a sketch.

P.S. As a 25-year Fm trainer, I get lots of students who come back to me for refresher classes—so you would be in good company.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Lining up beneath each other, making the second digit of a two digit number line up under the single digit is exactly what I mean. I'll see if I can do.

Do you know of any classes in the Cincinnati, Ohio area? Or within a hundred miles?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't—I'm in Colorado. But my company offers public (with other students) and private (one on one) online training. We get students attending our classes from all over the world. I actually have a refresher student in the next advanced class coming up in August, I believe.

We have a virtual classroom and between screen sharing and chatting via headsets, it feels like we are all in the same room.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/product/introduction-to-adobe-framemaker-2017-unstructured/?at...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not working using my FrameMaker 12. When I try to put the code in

the Property values I get a message to go to Format>Numbering>Footnote.

Then there is no box to do what you are suggesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to set your left alignment to match the 2nd tab (20pt in Barb's example)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not seem to work using my FrameMaker 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi littlemiami ,

Can you share a screen shot with your rulers visible, text symbols visible, Paragraph Designer showing Basic properties, and your cursor in footnote 9, but also showing footnote 10? This will work in any version, and once I can see what you have, I can give you a quick answer.

Use this button in the reply to share the screen shot:JIVE Add screen shot to reply.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I will try.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM, BarbBinder <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YESSS!!! I did it. Slightly different for the footnotes.

1) In the Format>Document>Footnote Properties, under the* In Footnote*

column,* Baseline, I put \t* for Prefix and* .\t* for Suffix.

2) In the Paragraph Designer I made 0.25 for left (but checked the box

for Decimal) and 0.4 for the 2nd tab and checked the box for Decimal also

and put a period in the box. You cannot put anything in the numbering

section (such as a check by Autonumber Format or the* \t<n+>*.\t because

it will just eliminate those entries and refer you back to Footnote

Properties.

Voila! It worked. So happy. Thank you for your help. Although it wasn't

entirely according to the format you recommended, your suggestions did lead

me to the right outcome with some minor tweaks.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Barbara

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM, BarbBinder <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very glad to hear that.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines