• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame 5.5 on Windows 10?

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Frame 5.5 be used together Windows 10?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried this myself, but I doubt that it will work 100%. You might want to play with the Windows compatibility mode for older apps. Please check this Microsoft Windows Help article: Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows.

Assuming that you're probably not using FM 5.5 for production anymore and just need it temporarily, an alternative might be to set up a virtual machine with Windows XP and install FM 5.5 on that one. Might be a little bit uncomfortable and slightly slower depending on the power of your machine, but it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Assuming that you're probably not using FM 5.5 for production anymore and just need it temporarily, an alternative might be to set up a virtual machine with Windows XP and install FM 5.5 on that one. Might be a little bit uncomfortable and slightly slower depending on the power of your machine, but it should work.

Note that MSFT does not support its own "XP Mode" VM (which is very much not the same as "Compatibility Mode") on Windows 8 or 10. It might be possible to use a 3rd party VM, if there's media and license to install the XP in it.

Here's how it was done in Win7 (Pro, Ent or Ult only). I might add that the performance of FM7 in this configuration is entirely satisfactory, but then the VM gets one whole 4GHz core and 1GB of dedicated RAM, all running on an SSD root drive.

Even if if FM5.5 can be made to run natively in Win10, I'll bet the Acrobat component won't, due to driver model issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filemaker 5.5 works fine for me using Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Filemaker 5.5 works fine for me using Windows 10.

Filemaker or Framemaker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've "installed" FrameMaker 5.5 on every WinXX computer I've used since 1987.  As noted some things don't work and in Win 10 I'm using compatibility mode.  I don't allow it to mess with registry and there are a few quirks like dwelling over an editing drag too long...crash.  Placing the cursor at one end and back spacing is one work-a-round...8^)

No, I don't use it as a production tool any more although I've done a few 25 to 40 page user's manuals. Making a book doesn't work well so I do a PDF of each section and join them for "final production"; some renumbering might be required. Works OK for the small jobs.  And there is no specific due date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines