Basic text search misses text in headings and tables. I have large multiple files in a book. Managing updates is a nightmare when trying to find headings that the search function misses. Sometimes it does find them. But most often not. Thanks.
I've never noticed that FM's search pod skipped hits in headings and tables - are you all patched up? Have you tried using a trial of FM2019 to see if a copy of your content behaves the same way? Because FM2015 isn't going to get any updates now...
I just did a casual test in FM2020, and Find locates text in ¶Headings in Flow A, and finds text in Tables. So if this is a bug, it might be an FM2015 bug, and thus not likely to get fixed.
One thing that is, as far as I know, still peculiar about Table text is AMP (Apply Master Pages). AMP ignores text in Tables for Master Page mapping, which is something of annoyance. If it does turn out that there's still a lingering Find bug, it would be worth checking to see if there's any connection between Find & AMP blindness.
You mean in the heading on a master page? FM won't find text in the Master pages unless you're in the Master page view. As for tables, I believe it used to search the text outside a table on a page first, then go back and search the text in any tables on the page. That has been fixed in FM2019.
Yes, all patched up. I've never tried FM2019, but I may end up trying it soon. FM will bypass the search term in the heading and pick it off in the first paragraph right under the heading. Dude at FM support said that's the way it was designed...lol.
No it's missing heading tags in the body pages.
Just tested in FM12 and it's working fine - finds all instances of the text I told it to find in headings and in tables. Was this ever working in your FM2015 instance?
ETA: Is it possible that you accepted a misspelling by accident? Frame will skip over those if you did.
Try Edit > Spelling Checker > Dictionaries and select the Mark All Paragraphs for Rechecking option and see if that makes a difference. If it's still skipping over items you know are misspelled, try clearing the document and personal dictionaries on the same window.
If that doesn't work, I'd suggest doing a MIF wash of the documents, and if that also doesn't work, maybe a reinstall, because at that point my best guess is that something has become corrupted.
Interesting question. I've been using it for about 4 years and noticed it about a year ago. So I suppose it was working proplerly at one time. It still works sometimes. But the majority of the time it misses.
I just did a test and it missed a heading in my book search. But after I opened the document and ran a document search on the same heading, it found it. I then closed the document without saving and did another book search. It found it. Weird.
Just ran across this thread while having the same trouble with finding words and phrases in headings and even in body text. Hopefully this will help someone else. I was editing a document I did not create, and after a lot of messing around, I realized that the words and phrases I wanted to change were set up as "variables," something I knew almost nothing about. If you are having this problem with the find/replace, it might be worth checking to see if the text in question is actually set up as a variable. The Find function does not find variable text when the dropdown in the Find pod is set to text. You can either change the Find: dropdown in the Find pod to Variables (see attached screen shot). Or, you can go to Window>Pods>Variables to access the Variables pod/palette, and it is fairly easy to make changes there. There is probably a lot more to using variables in FrameMaker, but figuring this out solved my find/replace issue.
I have just tested in FM-220.127.116.117 (aka 2015).
There are no problems in finding text items in text, headings, table cells, table heading.
But there is still the problem with texts which have been imported some time ago from Word: they may contain an \x0D character. See "Find does not find".
And the note from Lin is essential: Search works only on the particular page type (body, master, reference).
And it's worth mentioning that Find will not find, as literal text, the text of Variable definitions. So if a Table Title or TableHeading contains "Pre-Installation Steps" inserted as an RH/F or other Variable, it won't be found in a Text search.
I agree with Klaus.
Her you can find a good explanation
Such characters can be the result of pasting text from application with CR+LF line-ends. FrameMaker internally uses only the LF character and so spurious CR can be left over.
To test if this is the case, you can
• search in your original documents for \x0d (backslash, x, zero, d: the hex code for Carriage Return) and if found replace them with nothing.
• or, do a MIF wash before saving as XML: Save the document as MIF, then open this MIF document and proceed as you originally intended.
But maybe it is something different,