• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2019 Crashes with Table Insert

Participant ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had FrameMaker 2019 crash on me multiple times since I installed it yesterday. This is horribly unstable.

Today, while inserting a table. it hung briefly, then just shut-down.

I'm using Windows 10, OS Build 15063.1508

Processor Intel Core i7-7920HQ CPU@3.10GHz

RAM 64 GB

62 bit OS and x64-based processor

I installed the 64 bit version.

I haven't yet uninstalled 2015. If 2019 proves to continue to be so unstable, I will have to switch back until the team gets it stabilized.
I had hanging issues with 2015, too, but they were different. It would literally hang, and you'd have to kill it. 2019 randomly kills itself. I thought 2015 was misbehaving because of the parallel installation, but the issues continued after I uninstalled 2019. I wasn't having them before the parallel installation.

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Hi Heather:

I'm wasting a lot of time googling how to change, create, and find various things.

I'm a trainer, and encounter this sentiment in my advanced classes with long-term FrameMaker users. (Ok, sometimes with myself as well). This may help when you make the transition:

1. The Special menu was renamed Insert. Most menu commands from the 2015 Special menu are still in Insert menu, and they still have the same Esc key shortcuts.
  2. When you can't find a command, the first place to look is the Insert me

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you've run the updates for FM2019 - just freshly downloading it doesn't include the 2 patches (so far) - this new model has more frequent patches being issued than prior versions did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already updated yesterday after installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Today, while inserting a table. it hung briefly, then just shut-down.

Where is the table coming from? Another FM document (and what vintage), or another app entirely? It's pretty clear that your instance of FM2019 has an issue (because your FM2015 does not), but the workflow might matter for resolution.

re: …62 bit OS…

That might be the problem. Your OS is two bits short

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously?? I was just creating a table in FrameMaker 2019. Don't over-think it.

62 should read 64 bit. You'd be really funny, if ... well, no. You wouldn't. It's just lame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I was just creating a table in FrameMaker 2019.

Roger. Misread it as pasting in.

And does it do this in an empty new document, or does there need to be some other content present?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I'm not being paid to test Adobe's software. I have a day job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame 2019 is actually pretty stable. I've had it installed on my work system for several months now with few issues, and certainly none that fit your description, and my work system is nowhere near as beefy as yours. (Seriously, your work system sounds like my home computer, which is a monster because it's a gaming rig, and I only have 32G of RAM!)

Right now, it sounds to me as if the problem is peculiar to your system.

We all know how frustrating it can be to deal with a cranky application and or system. Please understand that we are asking the questions we do to help us help you troubleshoot. We don't know what you've already done.

So. Does this happen every time you try to insert a table? Does it happen only when you try to insert a table? Does it happen in every document you try to insert a table into, or only in the one document? If it's just the one document, have you MIF-washed it? Are you using any plugins? What size is the table you're trying to insert (row x column)? If it's just the one document, how big is it and how complicated is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I forgot. What sort of graphics card do you have installed, and are its drivers up to date? Frame can be very sensitive to that sort of thing.

Also, is your document local (as in, on your personal hard drive) or off on a network drive? Frame is also sensitive to network lag. Although why it would be an issue with 2019 but not with Frame 2015 is curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same graphic card and drivers I used with FM 2015. Intel Hd Graphics 630.

If you're saying it's not your application, and it isn't always happen, then I have to just suck it up and live with it. Why? It's Adobe's job to test it with various systems, not mine. They're not paying me. If 2019 is more sensitive then 2015 was, fix it.

My documents are ALWAYS local. I created them in 2019 all from the same template. If 2019 cannot handle adding a table into the program without crashing, it's not stable. My laptop was provided to me brandnew by my company June 2018. I'm running the newest version of PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc., but you feel that my graphic card and driver may be the issue.

I know you're asking questions to help, but the real help would be to have the applications thoroughly tested. Also, some of the questions are non-sense, given what I've already stated. "Does it happen only when you try to insert a table? Does it happen in every document you try to insert a table into, or only in the one document?" I stated that it had crashed the day before, too. I cannot remember what I was doing now, but I think the first time, I was trying to generate a pdf. Yes, I have the newest version of Acrobat installed. I wasn't inserting a table either time. The crashing seems random to me. I'm a hardware tester myself. I understand the principles of isolating a cause. I was lucky to have vacation last week at the end. So I didn't have to deal with this.

It's frustrating because, there's always something wrong with one Adobe product or the other. If not them, the newest SnagIt is shite. To be frank, I don't need half of the kram that's built into these apps, and every new version seems to be less stable than the last. Sad that I'm not the boss here. I'd migrate us to RoboHelp 9 and leave it that way. In 7 years working for my last employer, I never upgraded my software. Never wanted to. When I find a stable app, I stick with it. My buddy, who has 25 years working with FM, he says, was searching for the particulars himself last week, trying to re-learn how to use this version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any crash log being generated  for this crash. Can you please check %appdata%\adobe\framemaker\15 and see if any .dmp files are generated? Also can you confirm version number you are currently using Help->About FrameMaker.

thanks

Amitoj Singh

Email: amisingh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi heather ceana,

I can understand that it is very frustrating if FrameMaker crashes when you are doing a simple task like inserting a table. As inserting a table is a standard task and works in all our internal tests as well as for (all) other users, there is probably something unique to your situation. My colleagues and I would love to find out with you what that is, and if it is something we can fix, we will be happy to do so.

My first *hunch* is that it might have to do something with the template and the table style defined in the template. My second hunch is, that it might be related to fonts. If you are willing to send me the template file, I'll be happy to dig into it and try to reproduce the crash on our systems. Also, if you can send the *.dmp file as mentioned by Amitoj this would be helpful.

Kind regards,

Stefan Gentz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me as if your issue is unique to your system, and not something I, at least, can help with. It looks as if Adobe's technical staff is now in contact with you. I hope they prove more helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out that I was working in 2015. Having 2019 installed at the same time caused crashes a few months ago, so I uninstalled 2019. I find 2019 so difficult to work with, that I'm uninstalling it again, and sticking with 2015. I'm wasting a lot of time googling how to change, create, and find various things. Also, I've got my right side set-up perfectly in 2015. I don't like the pop-out effects in 2019. If I can help it, I will not be upgrading - only if my boss insists. Thank you all for your attempt to help, but I think I've figured out what the problem is. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, 2017 release onwards there were few changes on UI side (especially menus and so on). I know it may take some time to get used to but FrameMaker 2019 release x64 has a great performance and lot many more features. Would be good to get some feedback on 2019 release once you start using it or migrating gradually to it.

Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2019 release) - Resources

thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amitoj, thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I will certainly make the time once I have some breathing room. I'm crushed to the wall at the moment. Bad time to have issues. 😞  I will have more time to get to know 2019. At the moment, I don't want to change, but since I have colleagues upgrading, I have to eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heather:

I'm wasting a lot of time googling how to change, create, and find various things.

I'm a trainer, and encounter this sentiment in my advanced classes with long-term FrameMaker users. (Ok, sometimes with myself as well). This may help when you make the transition:

1. The Special menu was renamed Insert. Most menu commands from the 2015 Special menu are still in Insert menu, and they still have the same Esc key shortcuts.
  2. When you can't find a command, the first place to look is the Insert menu—Headers and Footers moved there, for example, along with Add Disconnected Pages and Add Master Pages. When you think that you want to add something, think Insert menu.
  3. Deleting those added pages was moved to Format > Document.
  4. A few commands moved to the View menu like Colors and Show/Hide Conditional text. Think about the what you want to see—those commands are all in the View menu.
  5. When you do get to FrameMaker 2019, take 20 minutes to set up a custom workspace that mimics the one you are using for 2015. Then you will know exactly where the pod/panel is located. Eliminating "the pop-out effects" is just a workspace choice.

My understanding is that this interface redesign—which debuted in Fm 2017—was to make it easier for new FrameMaker users to find things. I know I've spent years of my life saying to my students, "When you want to insert something into the document, use the Special menu, which should be called the Insert menu". I see the benefits of the redesign for my new students, but for old dogs like myself, it took some getting used to.

One last thought, when you can't find a menu command, just ask here. We love those questions because we can answer in a just few words—usually Insert > XXX. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the information. I want to be able to fix the menus on the right side, like they are in 2015. I think I cannot. I was also trying to create a new paragraph style, and discovered that, after having conditioned myself to the old method, FM now has it the way I thought it should have been. So, old dog and new tricks. (I jsut saw that you used the same analogy. LOL)

Cheers!

Heather Ceana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heather:

A lot of us used a shortcut in the older versions of just typing in a new tag/style name, and then clicking apply to create a new style. In this version, the create option is gone from the command menu, so it’s just the shortcut: type in a new name, and then click create style. Keep in mind that the FrameMaker traditionally called these formats, and sometimes tags. But now they’re being called styles to be consistent with other programs. All three of these words are synonyms.

I can definitely help you create a workspace in 2019 that matches what you are using in 2015. When you’re ready to reinstall 2019, just take a screenshot of your current workspace, start a new thread and I can give you instructions. And if I’m not around that day, somebody else certainly can and will help you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Barb! I'm going to take you up on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By the way, one small tip here in addition: You can press F7 key which will open up the "Command Search". Just type in what you want to do (e.g. "insert table") and the drop down will filter accordingly. It will also show you the shortcut and where you can find it in the menu.

I find it quite helpful and using it more and more often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to remember with Frame 2019 is that there is now a search function in the menu bar that lets you search for commands. Click the magnifying glass and Frame asks what you want to do. Start typing and it does the type ahead and presents options. Very useful, that, as long as you don't mistake it for the help system (yes, I have!).

While I'm not quite as proficient with them as I once was (mice make you lazy), I used to do almost all of my commands using the Esc codes. I'm trying to regain that proficiency as in most cases I still find them faster than using the menus and pods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame menus actually became logical

The problem is that we are used to the "Special" menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines