• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

framemaker 2019 - is it possible to change default graphic import size (dpi/ppi)?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm im the process of evaulating possible migration from current tech manual software to framemaker 2019. We have about 500 titles - thousands of graphic assets all in compressed flat (non-layered) TIF format, sized for content (including text wrap), @Deleted User. I have framemaker import set to Copy instead of Reference. Upon Insert > Image, framemaker defaults to 72dpi. I am unable to find any indication that framemaker can be forced to import all graphics at a user-specified size. Nothing in preferences, nothing that i can see in the .ini, nothing that i can find in the registry; i'm all out of google search results lol.

Is there some way to change default graphic import size, or would every single image have to be set manually (or through framemaker script)? I've created an object style @Deleted User but it leaves the graphic at 72dpi no matter if i create the frame first or set style after import (so i'm not sure what affect that anchor frame dpi setting is meant for).

Converting the existing TIFs to something else via photoshop script is a consideration but at that point i will have literally doubled the file size of assets on the server.

Thanks in advance for any responses! -bob h

TOPICS
Content migration , Formatting and numbering , Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have my FM2019 running at the moment, so can't explore this first hand.

re: …migration from current tech manual software…
You might get some additional useful tips if you mention what the former app was.

re: I have framemaker import set to Copy instead of Reference.
What's the strategy there? Copy-in is in general a stewardship hazard. Something causes graphic to get disturbed, it shows up as a grey box, and you may have no way of discovering what it was or where it came from.

re: Converting the existing TIFs to something else via photoshop script is a consideration but at that point i will have literally doubled the file size of assets on the server.
Were it not for space considerations, I'd be tempted to batch convert them to something FM imports at desired default size, such as EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob.

Current app is quicksilver (interleaf/broadvision).

Some of our older titles do use referenced graphics and the problem was someone renaming or moving file or folder then broken links. Past 6 years a unique product/date-based file naming system for graphics and boilerplate content is used; we haven't had an issue yet but if we did we could just use Bridge to view the manageable product-based source directories to find whatever was needed. Once a graphic is copied into quicksilver source the only problem you would ever have is if an author accidentally deleted it, although author works off *copy of masters.

Graphics are a combination of raster and vector... sources are: CAD exports, photos, raster (& *some vector) photoshop, and illustrator. Based on user requirement, primary output is print; PDF/web taking a back seat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Once a graphic is copied into quicksilver source the only problem you would ever have is if an author accidentally deleted it,
FM is no different in that regard, and if the document has sufficient identifying metadata clues for the maintainer, it might not be an issue. I've had to deal with revising legacy docs where the images had gone missing without a trace.

These are also not unique to FM:
Copy-in also explodes the size of the document, and if you have a lot of documents using the same large images, that itself becomes storage burden.

Further, with copy-in, any revisions to shared images (logos, safety icons, etc) don't get automatically incorporated into documents being revised. I suspect you're aware of all this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FM 2015 autodetected the dpi. It's sad that they took this out. If I had a graphic at 96, it was set to that. If I had a graphic at 300, it set to that. FM 2019 lacks this and it bogs down my work. I'm really unsure why they took this out. I'm like Bob. I find the defaulting to 72 dpi to be a problem. I have no graphics at 72 dpi. The quality would be atrocious. At least FM does show changes to an image. I liked that about RoboHelp. I'm frankly annoyed at not being able to work in RoboHelp, but my boss has decided to change to MadCap Flare, because of the plethora of issues with FrameMaker. I cannot wait to be able to work in the html again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

No, there is no setting that controls the default value of import graphic scaling. However, once you've imported one image in a session, the value you specified in that import becomes the default for the next one.

I defined two object styles, one that set the DPI to 300, one that set it to 600. Neither style set any other property. I then imported a TIF image several times, using the object styles, or explicitly setting the DPI in the Imported Graphic Scaling dialog box. I imported the image both by reference and by copy. In all cases, the image came in with the expected DPI.

Since these results differ from those you reported, I wonder if you are running the latest version of FM 2019,    which is 15.0.4.751. Also, do you get the same results if you restart FM or reboot your machine?

--Lynne

No, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynne.

Well this certainly answers my question, even if it's not the answer i was hoping for! lol

I am absolutely brand new to framemaker; maybe two weeks with it so far (while on vacation). So of course at this point i have to assume that it's *me and not the app. I do have the latest version installed - 15.0.4.751

I tried re-starting/booting the app & PC; no change.

My test graphics are all the same size, and each would come in at 72dpi (i did try saving and restarting during this process). After reading your response i tried adding the *same graphic after having adding and formatting it correctly (and save) but subsequent Insert>Image keep coming in at 72dpi.

I will continue trying with object style, and if i can figure something else out i will post that here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have sent you a private message. Please provide the requested information so that we can connect and discuss it further.

Regards,

Ajit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines