• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 2020: pdf bookmark numbers missing?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Framemaker 2020: The chapter headings apprear correctly with numbers and heading texts in TOC (in FM). I printed the complete book to a pdf. The heading texts are shown correctly in the pdf bookmarks, but the bookmark heading numbers at header1 level are missing? Header2 level bookmark heading numbers are correctly shown in the pdf. I have not found the root cause in pdf printing settings. H1 and H2 have similar autonumbering settings in the FM paragraph designer. Does anyone know what might be wrong? This is my first pdf printing with the new FM2020. My ealier FM12 did not have this problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Hi @terhok:

You have run into a bug that has been around for a year or two. Your Heading1s are using the default FrameMaker definition of White, which inexplicably, removes the paragraph number when you export to PDF.

The solution is to create a new white color—I called mine NewWhite, but the name doesn't matter. Assign it to the heads and create the PDF. 

~Barb 

color1.png

color2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First make sure you're running the latest version; next try the other ways of PDF creation (since you don't mention what you used for this first attempt) - print to Adobe PDF printer instance, Save As PDF, Publish pod PDF output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi terhok,

Can you give us the autonumbering string of H1 and H2?

When you say header, do you mean the heading?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is about chapter headings. The autonumbering strings are

H1: H:<$chapnum>\t
H2: H:<$chapnum>.<n+>\t

Printing is done via File/print book to the Adobe PDF printer. All SW is updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a difference if you choose File > Save as PDF?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a book file with 25 chapter files. The Save as PDF is not possible. I printed to the Adobe PDF printer directly to a pdf file and via the *.ps file, and using the publish pod (with default settings). The all ouput versions are missing the heading numbers but they are visible on FM source files and in the TOC? I am using the FM unstructured mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi terhok,

I think your issues is very strange.

Just to be sure: Does your autonumbering use a special character format with another font?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paragraph designer shows autonumbering "character format = default font". H1 and H2 has the same font. The pdf bookmark H1 numbers are missing but show correctly in the TOC of the same pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a book file with 25 chapter files. The Save as PDF is not possible. 

I'm confused. Why isn't this possible? With the book file active, you can choose File > Save as PDF to save the entire book as a PDF. This is the preferred PDF workflow in 2019/2020, not Distiller, which is outdated, at this point. Adobe completely redesigned the PDF export engine for 2019.

If you are comfortable sharing a chapter, I'm happy to take a look—put the .fm file on dropbox and post the link here (public) or message me directly by clicking on my name, above (private).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @terhok:

You have run into a bug that has been around for a year or two. Your Heading1s are using the default FrameMaker definition of White, which inexplicably, removes the paragraph number when you export to PDF.

The solution is to create a new white color—I called mine NewWhite, but the name doesn't matter. Assign it to the heads and create the PDF. 

~Barb 

color1.png

color2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That explains the missing bookmark numbers, who would have guessed! Thanks for the advice.

This reminds me of another strange behavior related to H1 colors. I use the custom (a brand color) blue text background in the H1. It was not transferred when importing formats from the style tempate to the chapter files. I manually changed the H1 background color in each chapter file. This might be related to the same heading color bug.

This missing H1 bookamark numbers problem is solved. I made the fix and now all heading numbers in the pdf bookmarks are created correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi terhok,

I just tested this (FM 2020, update 1, version 16.0.1.817):

Added a background color and imported this paragraph format into another file. The paragraphs in this file adopted the background colour.

I also tested this with a custom color. Here I imported the paragraph formats and colors. Could it be that your target file did not have the background color?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I logged a bug report here: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-9586. Votes increase the likelihood of Adobe addressing this, so if this is important to you, please consider following the link and voting for it. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines