Exit

FrameMaker Developer Kit vs Cloud solution

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This is my understanding about FDK:

(1) The Adobe FrameMaker Developer Kit (FDK) is a set of C libraries and header files that allow you to write Application Programmer Interface (API) clients or plug-ins using the C or C++ programming language.

(2) Using the FDK, an API client can perform interactive user tasks and more. It gives programmers direct access to all the objects in a FrameMaker session or document. This includes graphics, text, markers, paragraphs, formats, and more.

(3) Only be invoked through FrameMaker application and the FrameMaker must be run parallel with the integration application

That means we cannot create a services on cloud to transfrom a Framemaker file to XML by suing FDK?

Do you have any ideas for a cloud services to transform a Framemaker file to XML?

TOPICS
Structured , Technical Communication Suite , XML author

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

But as far as your questions, 1 and 2 are true. There is a way to invoke and FDK client on FrameMaker startup so, while 3 is true, you may be able to start FrameMaker with some other process in order to kick off the FDK client.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a FrameMaker Server product, but I am not sure if it has the functionality that you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I did some research on  FrameMaker Server product and it may work for me, but there are something need to understand:

1.  FrameMaker Server product included FM Windows desktop application and Web Server. That mean the Web server cannot executre the tasks without FM Windows desktop application. Is it correct?

2. The tasks only can run sequencely and cannot run multiple tasks at the same time, right?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 is true, but I am not sure about 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I already installed FrameMaker Server product  but  "Add New Task" button disappeared. Let me try to find the way to config the server work and see how tasks will be execute.

My services requires to provide API to transform FM file to XML and it must execute multiple transform execute at the same time on 1 instance of FrameMaker Server Web and FrameMaker Client. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please let me know if you need any scripting help within FrameMaker. I have done some ExtendScript integration with FrameMaker Publishing Server in the past. This is useful if you need to modify a FrameMaker document before export or after import from XML. I can also help you with XSLT; XSLT transforms can automatically be applied on import/export. Thanks. -Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But as far as your questions, 1 and 2 are true. There is a way to invoke and FDK client on FrameMaker startup so, while 3 is true, you may be able to start FrameMaker with some other process in order to kick off the FDK client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. Let me do study on FrameMaker Publishing Server to make sure they will support the features 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines