• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker Not Exporting TOCs to PDF with Nested Book

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a nested book (a book of books) where each sub-book is a chapter.  Each chapter has its own TOC at the beginning.  Everything is fine when looking at each individual chapter *.book file.  However, when I export the top level book to PDF it just omits all of the TOCs.  How do I get the TOCs from each sub-book to show up in the PDF?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a screenshot of your .fm book file, and of the results of the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  This is a snip of the top-level book tree:

NestedManualTopLevel.PNG

The "Pre-Manual & Safety Section" is not really part of the body of the manual and doesn't have visible page numbers.  "Operator's Manual Section 1" is chapter 1 (manually set in the numbering properties for that object in the book).  Here is the book tree for the section 1 book file:

NestedManualChapter1.PNG

The TOC for chapter 1 is two pages so the content starts on page three.  However when the top-level book is saved to PDF, it doesn't export the "1200-25 CC Operator's Manual Section 1 TOC.fm" (and all of the other chapter TOCs) with the rest of the book.  Below I have noted in a screenshot of the PDF where the chapter 1 TOC should have been, but wasn't.

NestedManualMissingTOC.PNG

The page numbering is changed during the export process so that the first file AFTER the TOC is now page 1.  When I export just the "Section 1" book by itself, it saves the PDF with the TOC just like it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Operators Manual Nested.book doesn't have a generated TOC

Create a TOC for your highest level book and you should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want a TOC for the top level book.  I want one for each chapter.  That's the reason I have a generated TOC in each sub-book.  But, as stated, those TOCs are being excluded from the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. Folks often refer to the bookmarks in a PDF as the TOC, thus the request for more info.

So you have pages within the PDF that are dropped when saving as PDF with your current setup...That looks like you need to file a bug at adobe.com/go/wish.

One alternate way to arrange your book would be to consolidate your chapters into a single file and utilize the mini TOC function instead.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have just dropped a persona message to you and if you could share a sample so we could look at the same.

thanks,

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines