Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker PDf fail - cannot find TPS file

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

two books that published to PDF just fine until 2 months ago suddenly cannot be published anymore. I receive the error that the TPS file could not be found and thus the distiller stops. I am completely stumped, nothing obvious to me changed in this time. I use Windows 10 and FM 13.0.1.385

When I use the printing option and Adobe PDF as printer, I get a PDF but without images (grey boxes instead).

Is anyone else having this issue? Perhaps a recent Windows update?

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

Does it help, when you open all files in the book?

Did you restart Windows?

I noticed this error once or twice. However, it did go away after a restart.

If this error does not disappear, can you make a copy of your book and delete some files and then create the PDF? Can you find out, if there is a file or several files which cause this issue?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After literally hours of fiddeling I found a "solution". I changed the color scheme to CMYK and now the PDF publication works again.

What a pointles fail. I am so fed up with this application, but we still need it to maintain some old projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

Sorry when you had problems. Generally FrameMaker works well.

Did you have this problem only with certain books or with all books or files?

Did you create a new file with the FrameMaker default template and create a PDF from this?

Your version 13 is FM 2015, rather old. Developed before Windows 10 came up.

In version 2015 printing to a PostScript file and distill this to a PDF is a very stable process.

When you suddenly couldn't create PDFs any longer, then obviously something changed. Either in your book or graphics or e.g. on your system, e.g. your antivirus software (often the culprit).

You could also make a MIF wash: Save all files as MIF. Then open the MIF files and save as FM again. Then continue with these FM files.

This MIF wash corrects any inconsistencies in the FrameMaker files. It often helps when files do not behave correctly.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

I could not find the problem, nothing really changed. These are old projects that we maintain since 12 years. The PDFs are here, so that is what counts at the moment.

I and my collegues really dont like this program, probably simply owing to its age. FrameMaker is an application from the early 90s and you really feel it:

• Performance is terrible. When scrolling, the screen freezes for 5 seconds each time I hit an image. Also often black- or white-outs for a prolonged time.
  • Pointless errror messages preventing global actions. It says it cannot update the book because file XYZ cannot be opened. When I open it manually, there is no problem at all.
  • Handling is terrible. Each time I open a document or jump to another spot, multiple windows pop up that I have to close again before editing (crossrefs, variables etc.).
  • Translation is abysmal. I have to manually open and save all documents as MIF files, then the same in revers. Then manually rename folders to reference the correct language screenshots.
  • So many little details that just indicate software that is not smart. Like when I move the cursor to the end of the line and type a sentence, just to see that nothing has been written, instead an error is displayed because I am outside the paragraph element. That should only happen when I click outside the element on purpose in the structure view.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for you efforts. I guess I am a bit frustrated. The PDFs are here after a late night yesterday, so yet another deadline mastered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, these days 32-bit software seems tedious!

You're now 3 versions behind, so it might be worth looking at a 30-day trial of a 64-bit version like FrameMaker 2020. 

Also, the speed of publishing PDF is quite impressive. A 500 page unstructured book with many graphics that took hours to PDF in Fm 2015 now takes about 5 minutes. And since you mentioned structure, I'd expect your project to be even faster.

Most importantly, since you mentioned translation

Fm 2020 supports XLIFF workflows out of the box, along with sophisticated presegmentation options.

Bottom line: Fm 2015 compared well to the competition in 2015. Not so much when compared to Fm 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines