Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker to IDML?

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

Is it possible to convert FM source files or published output into IDML?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

I'm not aware of any translation tool that does not ship with both IDML and MIF filters out-of-the-box. All these tools support IDML and MIF on a very good level.

However, regarding XLIFF, I strongly suggest to move to an XLIFF-based translation workflow. Adobe supports XLIFF-based translation in both RoboHelp and FrameMaker since the Summer 2020 release.

In a webinar earlier this year, we explained how this works, and why it is important to go the XLIFF route over MIF: https://go-global-with-fm-and-rh-2022.meetus.adobeevents.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is. If you convert from MIF.

https://www.dtptools.com/product.asp?id=mfid

I have tried it and it works execellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, StudioSm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would send IDML files to be translated, so I should have also asked whether it is possible to convert the translated IDML files back into MIF / FM files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. And not a route I would advice take anyways. The document model of FrameMaker and InDesign are quite different. So while you CAN have your FM document converted to IDML, the result does come with some caveats and should be used when you have need to change publishing system. But is not usable as part of a general workflow.

Are you contemplating this solution because your translator prefers to work in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After writing that, it dawned on me that we actually don't have any reason to convert the translated IDML files back into MIF / FM files. To whomever I pass along the MIF files will open them and save them as IDML files. Then, they will open the translated IDML files, do whatever they have to do, and publish them to PDF.
I don't know whether the translation service prefers to work in InDesign, but it looks like only Marketing documents are currently translated. That could explain why they send IDML files out for translation.
Again, thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Another option is to export your fm documents to XLIFF and send that to the translation agency. Then they can can do the translation and send you back the translated XLIFF files. You import the translation in FM and produce the final PDF files. This route will avoid what layout changes that will appear in the FM->IDML process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XLIFF? Never heard of it. I think you made it up. Just kidding.

It looks like another workable and possibly better solution.

Thank you, again, StudioSm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes. XLIFF is another option. However, for a new workflow I would always make a test! Export to XLIFF, send the files to the translation agency, ask them to do some changes and send everything back. Then you can test, if you can import the changed XLIFF file without any issues.

The translation agency should also check, if their translation memory can be applied without any reductions.

Translation agency and MIF:

Some translation memory systems need a special filter for InDesign IDML or MIF files. If they have only the InDesign filter, they would have to buy the MIF filter as well. This might be a reason, why they would prefer IDML files.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thank you, Winfried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any translation tool that does not ship with both IDML and MIF filters out-of-the-box. All these tools support IDML and MIF on a very good level.

However, regarding XLIFF, I strongly suggest to move to an XLIFF-based translation workflow. Adobe supports XLIFF-based translation in both RoboHelp and FrameMaker since the Summer 2020 release.

In a webinar earlier this year, we explained how this works, and why it is important to go the XLIFF route over MIF: https://go-global-with-fm-and-rh-2022.meetus.adobeevents.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Stefan.

I haven't had - nor do I want to have - any discussions with the external translation service. This initiative came from Product Management and Marketing will execute it. I'm in R&D. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Wikipedia there is a comparison of translation memory systems. According to this list at least the major applications have filters for MIF and IDML.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_computer-assisted_translation_tools

However, e.g. on the STAR website they say that filters for DTP formats are available only in Transit NXT Professional. I did not check other applications.

I know that a few years ago filters for MIF or InDesign were available only as extra. It could be that now most applications provide these filters without extra costs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines